Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I stop taking Citalopram?

Question Should I stop taking Citalopram?

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, so this is my first post. I've been prescribed 20mg by the docs to help with my depression, i.e. some days I would let things get to me and end up in tears, I would get angry at the slightest little thing, also I am having trouble sleeping and that is effecting my work.

I've been taking them for 9 days and so far it has not been fun. For the first 6 days I was suffering from feelings of sickness, although not actually sick, and also light headed and dizziness. This has now passed, although I still haven't got my appetite back.

For the past couple days my anxiety has been getting worse, especially at night, and I am having trouble concentrating on anything, especially my work. This is making me feel very unhappy and I feel far worse than I was before I started the tablets.

Should I stop taking the tablets or will it be worth me riding this out? I have read at lot of the posts on this forum and most of them say these side-effects ease after 4-6 weeks but it is very difficult coping with them.

A confused and unhappy CitKat

P.S. Putting all this in writing has slightly made me feel better.

Re: Should I stop taking Citalopram?

Hi there

No hang in there what you are going through is normal and you will have ups and downs. it can take a few months for full benefits ie it will treat the depression side of things before it brings anxiety under control. Keep in contact with your doctor or ask a friend that you can trust to be there for the difficult times.

You will feel better just give it a little more time x

Dear CitKat.
    You may not believe this but you are nearly over the worst. Its usually a few weeks before it dies down, It does differ from person to person but you are on track. Read the citalopram survival guide sticky at the top of the page . consult it each day, I used it as the bible and its getting me thru and I am on month 5!! I go back to it to reassure myself . As always you will get tons of support on here as we are nearly all likeminded in helping eachother. use the chatroom and get to know us.
    Jean

Hi CitKat
    if you want some reasurance you are not allown read some of my threds and see how its got better for me ..
    I felt just the same up untill day 14 , but had a two day normall fealing in that time..but was feeling like it would never go..

Have a read at some of my threds watch how i whent up and DOWN but now going up again day 17...Everyone told me to hang in there ,stick with it and like you i wanted to give it up ,,I hung in there with the fantastic support from some brilliant and carring people in hear...Keep in touch
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
    WHEN YOU ARE AWAKE AT 1AM 2 AM 3AM 4 AM 5 AM
    SO ARE OTHERS ALL WATING AND HOLING IN THERE FOR THE SIDE EFECTS TO GO
    TRUST ME...GREGXX

Wasn't expecting such a quick response from everyone, it is good to see I'm not alone. I have already skimmed through the survival guide, there's a lot of it, I'm going to read it more when I get home tonight.

Thanks for all your encouragement and reassurance. I'm going back to the docs in 3 weeks time, so I'll stick at the cit until then.

Thanks everyone, I'll be posting again to let you know how I get on.

Take care CITKAT

Hey

Day 14 on 10mg for me, upping to 20mg in a couple of days.

Can say honestly I have been up and down like a yo-yo some days. Have had disturbed sleep, anxious mornings, slow burning over the body, upset stomach and so on...lol

It does ease and if you can couple it with a belief that it will work and hang in there you start to get some good times too!

I was always crying out on here for reassurance (still am at times) and everyone is great. If it worries you write it down here and you find you aren't alone after all

Jo
    x

Hi Jo,

I can see I will be using this forum a lot, as I think I will be needing it.

Thanks

CitKat
    use the forum as much as you can ,Write something and someone will reply.if we gave each other our phone numbers we would be ringing each other in the early hours as we all seem to wake up at the same time!! It might happen to you but it will become a distant memory.
    Are you still working ?
    Jean

we are like one big fammily,and ill tell you now,when im 100% with myself im staying on this forum to give advice and experiance to anyone who needs .what i needed and got from such a fantastic comunity of carring people..
    p.s by the way you will get use to my spelling in time...lol...Greg x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information