Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple fissures and piles and the use of glycerol trinitrate in the treatment there

Multiple fissures and piles and the use of glycerol trinitrate in the treatment there

I have just returned from the doctors and the blood tests that I had done to eliminate various bowel diseases such as crohns and caeliac disease have come back as being normal. Unfortunately I have bleeding and pain from my back passage. My GP had a look and diagnosed the piles and fissures. I hada sphincterotomy many years ago and we discussed me using fybogel to keep my bowels loose (TMI I know) She has also prescribed some ointment called glycerol trinitrate which is also used in greater quantites to treat angina. I'm not keen on this treatment as it can cause headaches. I explained that I have been having severe headaches but she said that these would be a different type of headache! If the ointment does not work then they will refer me for surgery. I'm not impressed but because of the pain and bleeding will have to give the treatment a try. I would be grateful to hear any positive stories using this ointment for anal fissures and avoiding having to have surgery. I have also heard of botox being used for fissures but that wasn't what was offered I don't fancy that much either. Thank you EJ.

Re: Multiple fissures and piles and the use of glycerol trinitrate in the treatment t

I assume this is the one that you put up your backside? I was given some but never used it to be honest as they told me it could cause headaches but they are short lived I believe.

Mine calmed down without taking it but I do have Crohn's so am prone to bouts of piles etc.

Give the ointment a go and hopefully things will calm down in time.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Multiple fissures and piles and the use of glycerol trinitrate in the treatment t

Yes Nic I will have to put the stuff inside my rectum! Not sure that I want to. Is this stuff the same as the stuff they make bombs with? Anyway I have a friend who is a doctor and might ask his opinion about the stuff too. I am worried about the headaches and it not working and needing surgery anyway. Thanks Nic. EJ.

They also gave me this plastic thing that apparently you put up your bum and do exercises with it.

I know this sounds bizarre but it is true

I have never used that either.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Well the truth is out. I have been too scared to use the gycerol trinitrate because it can cause severe headaches. My bowel problems have not got any better using suppositories (for the pain) and fybogel to keep me regular. I sit on the loo and pass blood even without a bowel movement. I went to see my GP and she has agreed for me to see a colorectoral surgeon next Tuesday privately. I know this could mean surgery and I have had a spincterotomy before so I know what is in store except they have to warn you that you might become incontinent after the procedure. I have had enough of the bleeding and pain but incontinence. Any experiences of a spincterotomy would be good. I had it done before and I wasn't incontinent afterwards so we shall have to see what the consultant says next week EJ.

this for treatment for my anal fissure

Hi EJ

Wouldn't a headache be better than surgery - or have they said there is no point in trying it now?

Ack that does not sound fun >< I've had fissures since I was a kid, but luckily the cream my doctor gave me was enough to help. Although they're still there ><
    Are yours internal? Is that why they bleed more?

Hi Nicola it isn't just a headache rather severe headaches. I already suffer with headaches that leave me unable to lift my head and nausea. I'll see what the consultant has to say but my GP is not very happy with me.

Hi Vixxy sorry to be an old grump. I have several fissures plus piles that bleed. That is why I want the consultant to have a look. Went away last week and was afraid I might bleed in the swimming pool. The pain from the fissure is quite a different pain hard to describe but high up internal. If the consultant says that I have to try the cream then maybe maybe I will have to. I have also heard of people having botox up there so there might be another option. If the risk of incontinence is high then I wont have the spincterotomy done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information