Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cbt wont help while on antid's ???

Cbt wont help while on antid's ???

I have waited weeks on the cbt waiting list. In those weeks I have been through hell trying to get on some meds and have had to swop meds too.
    The first thing the cbt woman said to me on the phone was "its such a shame you have started antid's you dont need them for panic disorder its totally treatable without, cbt wont help while you are on meds and the meds wont help my anxiety "
    I am so upset and shaking am I being too sensitve ?
    I have been put back on the waiting list now as I pushed and asked if I could start anyway and the only day was thurs and my mum works that day and as I have agoraphobia I couldnt go on my own so Im back on the waiting list again. I give up.

Re: Cbt wont help while on antid's ???

How very stressful for you. When I had my assessment prior to starting CBT, they did say that it's not a good idea to start therapy while on meds, however they were happy to go ahead as I was in a bad place (also had agoraphobia). Can you not complain? I have found it so beneficial, you really are missing out on a chance to improve the quality of your life here and that seems so unfair. Kitti

I heard this as well about not being treated whilst on medication but the reality is the wait is so long for CBT that the doctor puts you on medication whilst waiting so it is a vicious circle really!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

that woman is wrong
    lots of people have cbt and are on meds
    god bless

She is totally wrong, that advised course of action is meds and CBT, not either or. She was very insensitive and has mad eyou upset now. Continue with the meds, you will probably have to wait a long time for CBT anyway, might as well wait in comfort.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Lots of people get meds and CBT but they are trying to get away from this. I heard all this at the No Panic conference last year coming from Paul Salkovskis so it must be true as he is a leading figure in the world of HA, Panic, Anxiety.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Laura,

I'm so sad for you and angry to hear that you have had this response. I have read many studies that find medication and CBT combined are a much more effective way of tackling anxiety / panic disorders than either medication or CBT used separately.

If you have the energy and inclination I would consider making a complaint about the response you have had as it could have put you off trying a very beneficial treatment option - CBT as well as causing you to call in to question the medication you are on after struggling to get the right medication to suit you.

These kinds of responses from supposed professionals are, at best, unhelpful at worst damaging.

Please do not give up. You have come this far and worked so hard. Do not let the ignorance of this individual set you back.

I find this strange too as the NICE guidance for anxiety talks a lot about combined treatment of meds and CBT. Must be a new thing.

Pip

Sorry - I think I meant the treatment specifically of HA

.... and a lot changes in a year so who knows lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information