Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medication Advice

Re: Medication Advice

Thanks to MyNameIsTerry & Bike Rider for taking the time to respond it's always helpful to hear others experiences.

I'm back on citalopram only at 10mg until i can speak to my doctor next, which won't be until tuesday.

Should probably try and distance myself from reading about anxiety/depression etc for the next few days but i'm becoming... not obsessed but a little anxious to know what exactly is wrong with me. the symptoms of cyclothymia are sounding very familiar particularly the hypomanic episodes

I showed my sister this list and she laughed through most of them, she wasn't being nasty or anything we have a very jokey relationship and she suffers from anxiety herself just apparently she doesn't see me in most of these. "aggressive or hostile behavior" was probably the biggest laugh for her

Symptoms of the hypomanic episode may include
    1. unusually good mood or cheerfulness (euphoria),
    2. extreme optimism,
    3. inflated self-esteem,
    4. rapid speech,
    5. racing thoughts,
    6. aggressive or hostile behavior,
    7. lack of consideration for others,
    8. agitation,
    9. massively increased physical activity,
    10. risky behavior, spending sprees,
    11. increased drive to perform or achieve goals,
    12. decreased need for sleep, tendency to be easily distracted
    13. inability to concentrate
    I feel personally

1. maybe a couple of times a month for a day or two
    2. i can go from "everything is doomed" to thinking "i'll be happy and everything will be great"
    3. no
    4. I feel it but my family don't. i've asked several times
    5. same as the first answer
    6. no
    7. at times but sometimes i can also be thinking way too much for others to
    8. yes most weeks
    9. no
    10. don't have the money to be risky with
    11. yes, feels like every other week
    12. sleep: sometimes. easily distracted: very, trying to read is a nightmare. constantly skipping paragraphs like i'm in a rush
    13. MASSIVELY

Hi Worry.

You can make a list as long as your arm and most things on it will be everybody's day to day issues, as we are all different.

Most of yours are the same as mine, irrational thoughts that keep you anxious and awake at night. You tell your sister and I my wife, both think we are barmy but to us they are real, but they are not, they are thoughts, opinions and count for nothing really.

Thinking about it today, I still think the Fluox that I am taking is still working and improving my mind and controlling my thoughts. This is after nearly 20 weeks at 30mg, it takes time but hang on in there, early days for you yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Rider View Post
    Hi Worry.

Most of yours are the same as mine, irrational thoughts that keep you anxious and awake at night. You tell your sister and I my wife, both think we are barmy but to us they are real, but they are not, they are thoughts, opinions and count for nothing really.
    The "especially the mood swings which in my case can alter in 15 mins" from your previous post is me at my absolute worst. days later looking back it feels like i had no control over my thoughts. the only way i can stop it is to either sit in front of the xbox for a few hours or play online games or listen & sing along to music. trying to do anything productive is impossible.

Talking to my doctor tomorrow, telling her that i chose to go back on citalopram and try and give it a real go this time and see when i should up to 20mg again. (which i'm nervous about, i've done it plenty of times but after last time getting so worked up i'm feeling nervy) anyone have any ideas when she'd want me to up the dose? (possibly a daft question but it's on my mind) i was originally on 20mg, back this 10mg since friday.

Quote Originally Posted by WorryBNot View Post
    anyone have any ideas when she'd want me to up the dose?
    Unfortunately, my crystal ball is in for service, however, as a rule of thumb increasing doses before plasma levels of the current dose have stabilized to a steady-state, which typically occurs within 5 half-lives off the med - within 8 days for citalopram - may significantly increase side-effects severity, but delaying the increase won't reduce them by much no matter how long you wait. That said, psychology plays a part in side-effect severity so ramp up the dose at a slightly slower pace if you need to, or if your GP says to.

Well my experience with Sertraline was pretty wicked. On 25mg in 20 days and I was sick, a zombie and just didn't care. I will say that the medication stopped the spinning thoughts, it slowed my thinking down so I could push the negative thinking away. My anxiety is gone. I read that anti depressants grow new brain cells, (neurogensis) my doctor told me the meds reset my circuits in my brain. Who knows, it did work for me. I won't go back on meds though. Maybe since I'm sensitive to the side effects the drug did its job at a faster rate as well?

Quote Originally Posted by snowghost57 View Post
    Maybe since I'm sensitive to the side effects the drug did its job at a faster rate as well?
    While it can't be discounted, it was more likely the placebo effect.

Hi Worry.

If you are like me, then when these thoughts enter you cannot control them. Mine want answers which simply dont exist, so round and round we go until the next rational phase starts and I think what a fool I was.

And then the irrational thoughts arrive and off we go again. Just have to keep working at it, telling yourself they are meaningless, rubbish.

The first 2 weeks back on 10mg was hell, i haven't felt that down for a long while. zero hope, down constantly, completely knackered at the end of everyday.

Then for 3 weeks very calm, as calm as i'd felt in a very long time BUT still with the intrusive thought whilst trying to watch something (constant checking to see if i'm "in the moment") my general ruminating was a lot less.

Spoke to a doctor as planned (once i finally got an appointment) to get the ok to up the dose. started on thursday "intrusive thought" just went a few hours after taking the 20mg, great the next day too. i could feel the anxiety was coming though, general ruminating was way up and once again today i can't relax and be "in the moment" whilst trying to watch tv and a film.

Tonight i'm feeling very down. i keep telling myself once the medication kicks in in a few weeks i'll feel back to normal but then the usual "What ifs"

What if "intrusive thought" only went due to feeling everything will be find due to starting a higher dose, was i being overly confident?

What if i can never relax and watch anything ever again?

What if i'm constantly going to be up and down again, like i've been for years?

The rational me is trying to think "It's not the thought that's stopping you watching something it's the anxiety. once the medication kicks in i'll be fine"

BUT will it or am i going to have to battle every time i want to watch something? <SCREAM>

Sorry for the long post. any advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by WorryBNot View Post
    Tonight i'm feeling very down. i keep telling myself once the medication kicks in in a few weeks i'll feel back to normal but then the usual "What ifs"

What if "intrusive thought" only went due to feeling everything will be find due to starting a higher dose, was i being overly confident?

What if i can never relax and watch anything ever again?

What if i'm constantly going to be up and down again, like i've been for years?

The rational me is trying to think "It's not the thought that's stopping you watching something it's the anxiety. once the medication kicks in i'll be fine"

BUT will it or am i going to have to battle every time i want to watch something? <SCREAM>
    Okay, lets assume the citalopram ends up doing nothing. It is not the only med. There are many others. There is a very good chance that one will work, so if citalopram fails, and there is no evidence yet that it will, it means little in the long run.

There is also therapy. You asked:
    If the intrusive thoughts went by you just feeling they should then this indicates you can control them. You just need guidance on how to do it consistently and learning how to do it is part of what therapy is all about. Irrespective of whether citalopram works or not, I think this is something you should pursue.

I've had a mixed few weeks on 20mg Citalopram. started back on 10mg 10 weeks ago and upped to 20mg 4 weeks ago.

During earlier in the week i felt i was finally getting back to "normal" and being able to get past my thoughts and watch and enjoy films/TV again but now i've had a few days of feeling down and again not being totally focused on what i'm trying to watch.

Is this normal with the medication? i can't remember from the last time i took it. i'm already wondering if i'll need to get to 30mg, is it too early to tell? does it sound like it will eventually work given i've had some good days?

Also still doing the CBT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information