Thread: Amitriptyline 100mg

Amitriptyline 100mg

Hi, I've been on 75mg of Amitriptyline for the last 3 months and felt ok on it apart from sometimes I still get bad days where I either feel very low or anxious. My doctor agreed to higher my dose to 100mg but I seem to have heightened anxiety. I've only taken it two days though so know it is early days into my increase. Just hope this passes quickly now. Was thinking of just going up half a 25mg pill but then just want to get through this asap. Hoping 100mg will get rid of the bad days too once it settles xxx

Re: Amitriptyline 100mg

Quote Originally Posted by karenp View Post
    My doctor agreed to higher my dose to 100mg but I seem to have heightened anxiety. I've only taken it two days though so know it is early days into my increase
    Heightened anxiety is very common when upping antidepressant doses due the the temporary increase in serotonin activity. It is generally short lived.

Hoping 100mg will get rid of the bad days too once it settles
    There is a very good chance it will as 75mg is the usual minimum effective dose. Most need to take a little more for optimum results.

Thank you, I feel okayish today, just weepy and irritable but no real anxiety. xxx

DAY 4 on 100mg
    Increased by 25mg daily

I had a really good day yesterday as I slept well but had broken sleep last night because my boyfriend broke up with me. It's for the best as I was going to break up with him but it's still sad when any relationship breaks up. So today I have a fast heart rate, mood ok, headachey though (so I have taken two Paracetamols) and my neck aches too. But so far, not too bad at all. This has been a wonder drug for me but was just not quite cutting it at 75mg. I feel this will really level me out now. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by karenp View Post
    So today I have a fast heart rate, mood ok, headachey though (so I have taken two Paracetamols) and my neck aches too.
    No med can protect us from all the turmoils of life. Nor should it, for any drug that blocked the lows would also rob us of the highs.

That's true xx I am feeling ok now generally. I can kind of feel this dose suppressing the anxiety which is still there but more like in the background. Mood okish-breaking up with someone is never easy even when it is your decision. Been on 100mg's a week tomorrow though and don't expect things to get worse now with the increase. x

Thread Information