Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you get rid of the cat wee / pee smell?

Re: How do you get rid of the cat wee / pee smell?

We had a problem with our dog weeing in the kitchen. We bought this product called 'urine gone' from some shopping channel and it really worked although is a little expensive (£30 for a time), when that ran out we read that white vinegar neutralises the smell and that also works too!

bicarbonate of soda is supposed to work use it like the 'shake and vac'? and or bio washing powder is used by friend with five dogs!!

I had a problem with stray cats too - I kept washing with vinegar and the smell eventually went away. Good luck, that is a nasty smell!!

It is difficult to get rid of, I remember our vet telling us it takes so many weeks to disappear, I can't remember how many. However there are remedies, go to a good hardware shop and ask their advice. (I am saying that, not knowing you, hoping you can and do go out occasionally)

This is a problem we have had. We took in a Persian cat, a neighbour was moving away and wanted to rehome her. She was ten years old, absolutely delightful but the cat litter had to be cleared after every use or she wouldn't use it. She did go out in our garden and enjoyed that but she had been used to cat litter - and was very fastidious. We had other cats who decided that they, too, would like to use the cat litter. We had litter trays all over the house but sometimes she would just wee on the floor. Anyway, after a year she was unwell, we took her to the vet and a kidney tumour was found (not unusual in pedigree Persians apparently). She had treatment and was OK for a few weeks but then went right downhill, poor little thing, so she had her last trip to the vet.

In the meantime, our oldest cat had become a bit, well, elderly in the wee wee department. He uses the cat litter but sometimes he forgets and just wees. It is dreadful. We do the best we can. We have bought stuff that gets rid of the smell, or almost. I can't remember offhand what it is called - I'll have a look - but there are many different things you can try.

Apparently, cutting up lemons and leaving them in little dishes around the place deters cats from weeing on the carpet and there are cat litters which have an attractive smell to cats.

What is hard is when a stray comes in, particularly a Tom. We had one of those two or three years ago, a very youthful Tom cat, beautiful looking, but every day he came in through our cat flap and sprayed everywhere. He also ate our cats' food. I used to chase him out and also tried to find his owners but had no success. I would come downstairs in the morning and he would be asleep on the sofa. He was cheeky, we nicknamed him ASBO. Anyway he injured his leg and came in one day limping and bleeding so.....what could we do? We adopted him, had his leg fixed, neutered, and he is now a huge cat. Really adorable. He is fine about going out in the garden but he still has some Tom cat ways, especially in the summer, he does a bit of spraying, goes out on the prowl and gets in fights. He is beautiful though, a lovely, affectionate big boy. His name is Thomas!

Good luck!

PS: I started typing this early this morning, then went out before completing the post, so you may have already got some good advice. Sorry if I am repeating what others have said.

Hi, I had this problem with my burmese tom cat too. However, after disinfecting, taking out the carpet tiles, more disinfecting and a total re do of the room oh and the most important thing, neutering my cat, the room in now fine!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information