Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Therapist says i have agrophobia and panic disorder

Question Therapist says i have agrophobia and panic disorder

I have been to my second CBT session and the therapist is really nice. She really understands me. She told me that I have agrophobia and panic disorder. (I thought i had social anxiety as my symptoms only happen in public places, social situations etc). I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from these disorders?

She has made up a treatment plan which consists of-
    A better understanding of anxiety,
    Relaxation techniques,
    Graded exposure.
    I really hope this works for me, has this worked for anyone else.

When I am in these situations i panic that i am going to lose control of my bladder and the therapist has made me realise that this isnt some terrible disease that only i have. She has told me it is a very common symptom which has made me feel better, i just hope and pray i will be able to overcome it!

Please share your stories with me x

Re: Therapist says i have agrophobia and panic disorder

hi i to suffer agraphobia which at first i thought was social phobia to till i went to cbt their seems to be a wide range of symptons when having a panic attack mines the feeling of im going to faint good luck with the therapy

hi i also suffer with agoraphobia and panic disorder and have done a course of cbt,it helped me understand some of it a bit better but i have not got any better,i think i will have to try medication but im so scared of taking anything...i hope it works well for you,we are all different...i also thought i had social anxiety,it was quite scary to hear i had agoraphobia..

Thank you for your replies. Sorry to hear you both also have these. I always thought agrophbia was people who were housebound. Since starting CBT i have realised this is not the case. I wish you both the best of luck!

i thought the same as you,and i really dont want to end up housebound..thank-you i wish you loads of luck too..you will have to let us know how you get on...

ive never been house bound with it but ive got 3 children so no matter how hard it was i had to do the school run at the time it was awfull this is going back 2 years .but lokking back it was a god send cos i didnt have an option but to go out so it stoped me from becoming house bound

Yes i would hate to become housebound too and i will do all that i can to make sure that does not happen too. I will keep you updated on my progress with CBT. good to hear from you x

Hi Ladymillion,

I was diagnosed with Panic disorder and Agoraphobia by my therapist in April. I have been having CBT therapy similar to what you describe since then, initially 12 weekly sessions but my therapist is brilliant and has extended this twice now. I am due to finish mid November.

It has really helped me along with some hard work and determination. I have recently started taking an SNRI anti d med along with diazepam I already take, and I am continuing to improve and push my boundaries every week now.

Like others, I assumed being agoraphobic meant you couldn't leave the house (although I was housebound for nearly 3 months) but I have learned so much more about the condition and the reasons why I avoid certain situations and exist in a small comfort zone.

I can honestly say that CBT combined with my current medication has enabled me to see and work towards a more fulfilling and less anxious life. I really hope it's the same for you. I wish you the best of luck in your personal journey.

Kitti

Ive never had CBT, but my best recommendation would be to treat it like a course you want to pass with flying colours. I was housebound for years, but not anymore. You'll be taught a new way to deal with stresses and hopefully what your triggers are that make you think in this unwanted way. You'll be taught how to avoid that.

If you arent great socially, and you have anxiety, its usual to have 100 worries floating around in your head at once. Most of that is clutter, its not needed, but thats why you'll feel overawed at times.

My advice, simplify your problems. Do you need to work on your confidence? If you had more confidence what would that do for you? For your life? Would it stop you from feeling nervous? Would you handle the events you are struggling with any better?

Replacing a head full of worry with 1 goal that does not intimidate you as far as your problems are concerned, that can help. Anxiety/panic/agoradoodah/disorder have more than likely already become trigger words that will cause a certain reaction within you, especially when it comes down to dealing with them. Its not very often that anyone can think clearly when they are bogged down with worries.

If you wanted to get more confidence, I suggest writing down some ideas so that you can see your plans presented clearly. Little things that might give you a rise in confidence, they can be personal things, things that matter to you. Small things are absolutely fine, as you start something like this with whatever you are comfortable with. Its small but it has a powerful effects when put in to practice. If you like the idea of that, just keep testing yourself. Make it your pet project, dont be afraid to enjoy it!

This stuff Im sure will be covered in your CBT. And I wish you the best of luck! You arent alone, there are probably enough of us to take over the country if we really wanted to. Everybody suffers with anxiety at some point in their life. Its good you are doing something about it, thats the MOST important thing. Good luck!

KittiKat i am glad the CBT is working out well for you. I have been referred through the NHS so i am not sure i will get that many sessions which is making me feel anxious but i am sure it will be fine ! i hope ! I definately need to discuss medication with my doctor too.
    Mikes thankyou for your advise, i am glad to hear that you are no longer housebound. That is a big achievement so well done! I do need to work on my confidence. take care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information