Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: living with anxiety

living with anxiety

Hi everyone, im here to hopfully offer some help to others. I thought it might help to explain myself a little...

I had a breakdown and was diagnosed with depression at 17, i was suffering mild panic attacks too, but i was 19 when my anxiety really started. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety one week before my 21st birthday.At that time i was taking betablockers, valium, antidepressents and having 3 panick attacks a day.

Like most people i was sent to psychologists, counciling and passed around doctors. Often getting told to 'pull yourself together' and swapping drug treatments, by my own research i began to realised i had Social Anxiety.

My SA was so evasive i even used to hide from the window cleaner, never answering the telephone, the door and eventually not leaving the house alone.(not even to put the wheely bin out)

on and off i managed to keep in education, it was terribly hard and i was crying at night , just knowing that i had to go in the next day. I kept my illness quiet, only telling those who i had too. But i knew deep down i was only surving and not actually living.

My GP was out of her depth and i was refered to a psychatrist, ive never looked back since. Although they only delt with the drugs, it allowed me to keep determined and continually expose myself to what i feared most.

That year i graduated university with a first class honours degree, and i year later i am now well enough to start looking for work.

My life isnt wonderfully rosey, i take large amounts of drugs and still have panic attacks - but i am persistant in my belief that i will not suffer from anxiety, just live with it instead.

i belive people who have anxiety, are some of the most brave people you could ever meet.

I will gladly help anyone who needs to talk!

Best Wishes,
    Selina xXx

I know what is around the corner, i just dont know where the corner is.

Hi Selina,

Welcome to the site.

You seem to have adopted a very positive attitude and the gaining of your first class honours degree was a fabulous achievement over adversity.

This can only bode well for your recovery.

Good luck with the job-hunting

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Selina!
    It's shameful that some professionals have no idea how to help anxiety/panic sufferers! I'm sorry it took so long for you to feel better!
    Thank you so much for sharing that with us!! That is very encouraging. Congratulations on your graduation!! [8D]
    Yay!
    Andrea

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

Hi Selina

Welcome to the forum. I too have social phobia among other problems and went through a period of time several years ago where I would hardly leave the house either. I did manage to get past that but do still have problems with the phone, answering the door and speaking to people I don't know.

I think you have done so well to graduate and gain a first class degree - well done. It is also good to see you are so positive.

Have you ever considered something like CBT to help you that last part of the way?

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

What a long way you have come.

Whilst suffering and sometimes at your lowest ponts, you managed to continue your studies, ultimately graduating with a first class honours degree. You must be really really proud of yourself!

A big welcome and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Elaine

Welcome to the site.

You have every right to feel very proud of yourself and your acheivements - I'm sure that positive outlook will take you far.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi Selina

A warm welcome to the site.

You have done so well in managing your attacks with such a positive attitude.

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
    Will I ever be free?
    Wake me up from this nightmare.
    Please just give me the key!

Hi Selina,

Firstly Congratulations on your achievements You have done so well!

You have a brillent POSITIVE ATTUTIDE that will go a long way well done![8D][^]

A BIG warm welcome to the site and I do hope it helps you.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X X X

Selina,

Congratulations on all your achievements. You've done soo well.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

[Wow!]

Selina just wanted to say welcome and what an acheivment you have made!!. You sound very positive looking forward to hearing more positive words!!. Kirsty X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information