Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do not ask for medical advice on NMP!!

Re: Do not ask for medical advice on NMP!!

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    One thing I think people should definitely NOT do here; and which is very WRONG is the excample of someone posting pictures of their own eyes etc. There is one such thread here; and it reinforced immediately an obsessive fear I have had for pancreatic cancer for almost a year now. And it happened on a holliday. I mean; it is very inconsiderate to post such things on a forum catering to people with anxiety; I mean; such is triggering anxiety for the worst. There are forums where people are posting pictures of their eyes or even their stools for medical opinion but I dont think that is OK here.

As for reassurance; it depends on what people write. Sometimes people write about symptoms that really could be something and then it should be the docs to give opinion about what it is. But other times; when someone is convinced they have rabies becuase they been breathing in the same room as their non-rabied puppy; yeah; then it is safe to tell people they are OK and will not die a horrible death from rabies. This summer there has been quite a few rabies posts and of course they are based on irrational fear. But I wont comment on someone who discover that their eyes are turning yellow or constant burning pain in chest. Then they should go to the doctor ASAP.
    Poo pictures have been on here but thankfully I didn't see them. I have seen pictures of a penis. One guy posted the tapeworm he had passed, which I gave a swerve.

I think it's even harder to work it out from a picture than a description a lot of times. Best left to someone trained & experienced. And who has no choice but to look at poo by job description.

Thanks for making me aware of this.

One more thing: I menationed above that it depends on the context of what people ask about. There are numerous rabies threads here these days; and I think it is good that they ask such questions here and save time and resources for the heath systems and doctors. It is better that people ask silly qustions like "can an invisible bat bite me and give me rabies at night" and "is there rabies virus on my bedsheets"on this forum than wasting doctors time. Or the even more extrem questions about brain eating amoebas or the odd questions about HIV from toilet seats and such. Asking such questions here saves time, money and resources in the health system and is a win win situation.

But I would really wish that people whose allready under the observation of a doctor would stop posting pictures of thir eyes and similar. If the docs allready says that something is disturbing, why should we give reassurance? To give them a false sense of security? Do they really excpect us to say "dont worry, you are fine, your doctor is just hysterical". Would they believe THAT? I think not. Why ask for a third opinion from us? I understand of course, being hysterical in my HA myself, but you can not get reassurance all the time. It is not rational and it worsens the anxiety of others. And would they skip controls with the doc of we give them false hope?

I think such posts may cause others to be "infected" with the same fears. I had never seen eyes pictures here before this summer, and then short after another thread, which I believe is the result of people being triggered by other posts.

But I would really wish that people whose allready under the observation of a doctor would stop posting pictures of thir eyes and similar.
    You would be amazed (I don't know if that's the right word but it's PC) at some of the pics that have been posted here! Some of that stuff you just can't unsee!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You would be amazed (I don't know if that's the right word but it's PC) at some of the pics that have been posted here! Some of that stuff you just can't unsee!

Positive thoughts
    Yes, I read that someone is posting stool pictures. Have not seen them and decided not to. *gross*

Yes, I read that someone is posting stool pictures. Have not seen them and decided not to. *gross*
    Various body parts of a sensitive nature as well!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I can remember a guy who posted a pic of the tape worm he had passed. I'm pretty sure there are many pictures on them on the internet, we don't need to see someone's personal little passed friend.

I agree though, we aren't trained to be able to spot the differences in physical symptoms and looking at them is for the trained. Camera work can make a difference for a start.

I don't think NMP should allow images of this stuff as it encourages breaking this rule.

---------- Post added at 02:04 ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 ----------

One more thing: I menationed above that it depends on the context of what people ask about. There are numerous rabies threads here these days; and I think it is good that they ask such questions here and save time and resources for the heath systems and doctors. It is better that people ask silly qustions like "can an invisible bat bite me and give me rabies at night" and "is there rabies virus on my bedsheets"on this forum than wasting doctors time. Or the even more extrem questions about brain eating amoebas or the odd questions about HIV from toilet seats and such. Asking such questions here saves time, money and resources in the health system and is a win win situation.
    Aha! That's medical advice though! Are we trained to spot something isn't rabies? Are we trained in rabies transmission & prevalence? Think HIV, there is a big difference between being trained to treat it and reading the CDC website.

But you do raise another reason why the medical rule on here can't work. Why would any person, especially outside of anxiety circles, tell someone to ask a doctor whether a breeze of wind in an area where you have bats could mean you have rabies?

SFI is a great example. It's incredibl rare yet insomnia isn't, and especially in those with mental health problems. Strictly speaking only a doctor can say you don't have it but seriously what are the chances of getting it wrong?

And if you are repeated the facts from a credible source like the NHS, CDC, etc then you aren't giving medical advice, meerly repeating medical facts. It's no different than saying that anxiety disorders are mental health issues rather than alien giraffe cakes.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 13-09-17 at 06:26. Reason: Said "are" when it should have been "aren't". Doh!!!

Stool,why can't we just say shit pictures, I get confused keep thinking it is a chair for my arse to sit on.

Dr Feelgood gave me antibiotics for this ghastly flu I don't normally take them but I feel rotten,lemon honey,and all things natural ain't hitting it on the head,any suggestions from any armchair quacks would be much appreciated,thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola-Lee View Post
    Stool,why can't we just say shit pictures, I get confused keep thinking it is a chair for my arse to sit on.

Dr Feelgood gave me antibiotics for this ghastly flu I don't normally take them but I feel rotten,lemon honey,and all things natural ain't hitting it on the head,any suggestions from any armchair quacks would be much appreciated,thanks.
    Vitamin C!!! I've beat a few infections with it when previously I would have needed antibiotics with my asthma.

Space the doses out to keep blood plasma optimum. Large doses are worthles as the body can't hold them anyway so the excess just comes out the back passage. Larger doses that are timed release are ok though.

For treatment of loose stools...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information