Thread: New patient health check

New patient health check

I've recently moved house and had to register with a new gp. In order to do so you've got to go for a new patient appointment where they weight,check blood pressure etc. I'm freaking out to the highest. It's a week on Monday and I am overweight I will admit it but I'm terrified to be weighed in front of someone else I makes me ill thinking about it. Also just thought about if they want a urine sample which hasn't been mentioned to me when I first went in but suddenly have this fear of finding type 2 diabetes. I'm just about to turn 18 soon and I don't have any symptoms of diabetes but I just have a feeling that because I'm overweight I'll have it and it will ruin my life:( has anyone been to these before I'm terrified they're gonna find something wrong with me!

Re: New patient health check

Hi, I too had to have those dreaded checks, I did have to do a urine sample but it was fine. I am to OVERWEIGHT, I need to loose about 4 stone. I spoke to the nurse as soon as I got into the room about my HA as I knew my blood pressure would be through the roof, she was kind and she did confirm that my blood pressure was high but because I have HA it was decided it was down to White Coat Syndrom. Stay calm and make sure you talk to the nurse as soon as your bottom hits the chair ��

I went today and it wasn't too bad and was over with quick. However I've to go back in a month to recheck blood pressure as it was at 125/90. Normally it's within the normal range and the bottom number is higher but I think it may be because I was so stressed about it. I could feel my heart pumping hard in the waiting room and I think it may be that. She took it again and it had actually went up but I had been walking about the room etc so could be that. Is my reading really high? My dad has high bp but could it just be from the stress and worrying over the appointment?

White coat syndrome... nothing more...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

As I thought, fishmanpa. I just don't see why I'd have to go back make me nervous if it's still high when I go back and what will happen then

I've got to go back tomorrow for a review of my blood pressure. I can't let it go and I know it's going to be high again and I don't want to be on tablets when I know I don't have it! How do I not panic and make it worse for myself

She took it and it was 122/92,so the bottom number was quite high. She said I think it's the anxiety and I'll ask to what the doctor thinks. She came back and said the doctor agrees with her about it being anxiety and to take it once a day for 2 weeks and hand the results in to the reception,if they're not high then I won't hear back from them. My results at home are definitely lower so I shouldn't be so concerned about it but I'm just so damn nervous that it's an underlying problem or something. Like why just the bottom number be higher???

Thread Information