Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just been prescribed Amitriptyline

Just been prescribed Amitriptyline

Hi Everyone,

I have improved my anxiety levels a lot since being told I have GAD and HA. However my headaches just will not go.

I have seen my GP on numerous occasions and she is absolutely sure I do not have any serious condition with my head, or brain. And on Monday just gone I also went to the Optician and all clear there too. Nice and healthy eyes.

She is sure that these are tension headaches.

So I asked about Amitriptyline, and she said good idea lets try it.

So, tonight I have taken a quarter of a tablet. I know I know, it's such a tiny amount, and it's only a 10mg tablet anyway.

Thing is, I work myself up so much before taking anything new that I start creating symptoms and side effects before I've taken the bloody thing!!

So I've taken the quarter, and I have the other quarter sat beside me now. I still have a headache though, so should I take another quarter? I'm allowed up to two tablets a night and so far just have a bit of a numb tongue, thats it.

What do you suggest?

Re: Just been prescribed Amitriptyline

I started on 10mg a few weeks ago. After 2 weeks I upped to 20mg, and am now starting 25mg for the next four weeks.

Absolutely no side effects and I am definitely starting to feel some benefit as far as my pain is concerned.

Amitriptyline can be taken as high as 75mg per day, so I have plenty of room to up my dose further if needed.

Aaron, 10mg is a small dose so you will be fine taking the whole tablet.

Thanks CharlieM, I've just taken another quarter so will leave it as a half tonight. Can I ask what pain you are referring to? Do you suffer from headaches too? It is my headaches (which are daily, and sometimes all day) that I am seeking relief from.

I am down a lot at the moment but I'm sure that this is due to the headaches rather than Depression itself.

Mine is neuropathic pain caused by anxiety. My GP has also referred me to a neurologist to find out where the pain is originating. It is prob from my neck where a nerve maybe compressed.

My pain is in my neck, shoulder, jaw, armpit, arm and chest. Amitriptyline is an old school AD, but is now mainly prescribed for migraines and neuropathic type pain. It is safe and although it can cause dry mouth and vivid dreams, it also has a sedative effect which is why I take mine an hour before going to bed. I have never slept as well as I am at the moment.

Thanks, sounds like the positive effects of this drug are worth the rather minor side effects. I'm aware we all react differently but I'm willing to give it a go.

I may as well take the other half of the tablet then. I really struggle taking tablets but have found that if I take them in quarters they basically dissolve on my tongue anyway.

My headache is slowly easing up, I'm guessing that's a good sign.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

I assume it's okay to effectively crush these pills? As thats basically what I'm doing with my teeth!

Yes, should be fine to crush them. In fact it will probably make them work quicker.

Thanks again, I'll report back with how they work for me. Which should hopefully help others.

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Full tablet down. Makes a change for me to be able to take them!

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

And I assume it won't just take away this current headache after the first tablet? Wishful thinking?

Well I went to bed around 10 last night, slept better. Definitely.

I woke up a couple of times, but got back to sleep very quickly. So a real improvement on my sleep pattern previously.

I had very little energy this morning though, still the case if I'm honest. But I'm going to try and perk myself up a bit and see if it helps.

As for the headache, my head feels slightly achy. But no where near as bad as yesterday.

So far so good.

Can anyone who has taken Amitriptyline for tension headaches let me know roughly how long it takes to help them after starting these pills?

Aaron hello.

You most probably won't have read about my daughter who has had a migraine and photo phobia for over a year and has had every conceivable test that there is available.

She was prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg which definitely knocked her out but didn't help with her migraine.
    Since we returned to England her GP also suggested that my daughter was suffering stress related headaches as she has a few other health problems and after discussing these problems with her and also dealing with them her stress levels have subsided and so has her migraine,which is now not so intense.She is not taking any medication anymore, is more active and therefore has less time to think about her stress.

Well I took a tablet again last night and to be honest it didn't make me sleep nearly as well as the first tablet. I didn't have such a deep sleep and woke up a few times too.

Will it sometimes work and sometimes not?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information