Thread: Ectopic beats for 8+ yrs

Ectopic beats for 8+ yrs

Hi. I'm a 46 yr old male, slightly overweight,on meds for high BP (Atenolol and an Ace inhibitor). I'm a non-smoker, moderate drinker and I try to excercise most days.
    8 yrs ago I was hospitalised of a suspected heart attack. This freaked me out, not least when the diagnosis on discharge was unstable angina. However, after subsequent cardio tests I was told the ticker was fine and the ectopics were just a result of anxiety/the usual things.
    To make matters worse however I was told my heart was enlarged - although this was not a problem. It was a problem for me! In fact I've never been able to get an answer as to whether LV enlargement can cause skipped beats or if this will get worse.
    Recently my GP has put me on citelopram for depression/anxiety. This seems to have reduced the number of ectopic beats although they are still here.
    My constant worry is that they will return in force as this really wrecks my life.
    However I am still here after 8 yrs. The crazy thing is I still dont know how much is cardio related and how much is due to stress.
    The reduction in symptoms would seem to show that stress has made these much worse in any event.
    Like everyone else here I'd just love to be free of these awful things!!

trudyh Guest

Re: Ectopic beats for 8+ yrs

I know how you feel. Ectopics suck. I have a cardiologist who is clueless about how upsetting they are, lucky me :-).

There are a couple of possible hopeful things in terms of getting rid of them. Some of the stronger heart meds, like Flecainide, reportedly can help, but they can have risks. The docs are starting to do ablations just for ectopics now. Also risky.

Some company could make major bucks fixing these.

Thread Information