Thread: mirtazapine and worried about weight gain

mirtazapine and worried about weight gain

Hi

I am new to this board so please bare with me.
    I have been on 30mg of this drug for 6 days and feel okay for about 2 hours a day, with no anxious feelings at all. The rest of the time I feel very very dizzy and tired.

I am worried about the weight gain and would like to ask everyone, have you gained weight because you have found you are eating more? or because its your metabolic rate that has slowed down?.

I am scared stiff of the weight gain and In fact I am trying to restrict what I eat as I dont want to gain weight.

Thanks in advance.x

Re: mirtazapine and worried about weight gain

I've not put on weight on at all, in fact I've lost it but I go out walking every single morning for at least 30 minutes as I am still very much suffering with anxiety after being on Mirtazapine nearly 4 months. I don't think it's made me that hungry really though, perhaps a little at first but not noticably anymore (:
    I'm wanting to come off it though now as I went on it for insmnia and panic attacks and it's not helping me anymore.

Thanks. I am on it for anxiety. I feel so ill today very dizzy and my eyes cant focus at all.
    I am glad you havent put weight on. I do alot of excerise so I am hoping I will be ok too.
    saying that I amvery tired but will make my self excerise.

I put on quite a few kilos when I started mirtazapine a few years ago - but I was also suffering from lots of stress, and food was a great comfort, so I can't put all the blame on the mirtazapine.

I'm still taking mirtazapine, the stress is under control (mostly) and I have maintained the same weight for several years. It's my long-term project to go back down to my pre-stress weight!

well today I feel arful, I have slept for over 12 hours and still feel tired., weak dizzy and tearful.

I have only been on it about 6 days but I have started to take it at night. I am hoping th side affects will ease soon.

It's early days yet for an antidepressant. Hopefully side effects will start to fade and you'll be feeling better soon.

Take care.

Hi runinggirl you have every right to feel concerned about weight gain associated with mirtazapine. I have been taking this for four years ands initially put on two stones. My weight is now maintained by healthy eating and exercise and a diet class. I think that if you are going to put on weight then it will be in the first few months. This is because mirtazapine was originally devised as an appetite stimulant for anorexics. If you put on weight it will be because your body craves sugary foods. Try to eat healthily and if the weight problem becomes bothersome go back to the docs. Don't stop eating! In answer to your question in my case I put on weight because I ate more. EJ.

Thank you everyone.

Its not making me eat more its making me pariond that I will put weight on. Is there a alternative drug to mirt?
    Also I have also started to feel very very angry as everything.

Thread Information