Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my ATOS medical today :'(

Got my ATOS medical today :'(

I have severe social phobia, panic attacks and i'm trying to overcome agoraphobia although to be honest I can go out now if it's with my husband, and I still have panic attacks then.

So ATOS are coming to give me a home visit between 9am and 12pm. I've been awake since 6am with my heart pounding, and retching alot.

Alot of my panic occurs when i'm hungry as it makes me retch, i'm starving alot of the time though, mornings and afternoons and worse.

I've tried some cracker breads, i've managed to eat 6 (all while retching!) and i'm still starving.

I'm so scared because I know i'll have to go out of the way and eat while they are here, but what if they don't let me?
    My husband says it's important that they see me like this and if I need to go and eat then I should as it's part of my "illness" (What ever that is, I need to speak to the doctor about what causing this starving retchiness).

It's always been a massive embarrassing secret though, and i'm scared to tell anyone because i'm overweight because of all this eating and i don't want the assesser to just think i'm some fat greedy woman!

I retch when i'm anxious too, i've never retched in front of anyone, i've always managed to "run away" before it happened. I know it might be in my favour for them to see how sickly I get when I'm hurngry/panicky but i'm so frightend.

Has anyone else had a home visit for panic attacks etc, how long do they last?

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Done now The man was really nice, not what I was expecting at all. And he only stayed for about 5 or 10 minutes. He said he'd writeen everything down that he needed and he could see I was nervous because I was in tears, so said it was probably best that he kept it as short as possible.
    He didn't think there would be a problem in me continuing with my benefit as it was obvious to his that I qualify, whether the powers that be think that is another thing though.
    But i'm glad it's over

Re: Got my ATOS medical today :'(

Hi, miss moose.

Could I ask a personal question you can tell me to bugger off by all means.
    This Atol thing and benefits how does it work.
    As I'm unable to work at the moment due to mental health problems but my wife works 24hr pw, we have 2 children. But I have been told that we would not be able to get any kind of benefit due to getting working tax credits.

Not saying I want to apply for esa i think it is called but a few months ago it looked like my wife was not going to get 24 hours pw so we would lose the working tax credit and be left 100 out of pocket pw and in the end would have to go bankrupt to live.

As my wife has her hours made upto 24 with overtime but her contract is only 16hr pw.

So my question is are you in anyway in the same boat as us ie partner working and so on.

Sorry for the question and if you wish to answer you could pm me.

Thanks and Pleased it all went well for you.
    Last edited by xtremx; 30-11-12 at 20:48.

I'm glad the visit went okay, and fingers crossed the powers that be are understanding

Thank you, miss moose for the pm that helps

I'm glad it went well for you (well as well as it could be).

I've just had my ESA taken away because my boyfriend is now living with me. I was on income related group because I'd not paid enough tax in the last two years.

Now we're left with nothing and have bills to pay. My anxiety is getting worse and there is absolutely no help from the DWP regarding this - they don't want to know because my boyfriend works 40 hours - nevermind that it's minimum wage!

Miss Moose are you on contributions based?

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but i've never worked, I came straight out of college in my 1st year 11 years ago, so I don't think it counts as i was under 18 when i became agoraphobic.

My husband works full time so i don't know if that will affect my benefit or not?

i,m the same, had mine taken too, even tho i have spondalosisis of the spine n clinical depression gad, i,m in appeal at the moment but, its taking so long that i,m considering a houseshare, i just cant pay out, it,s making me worse i,m so worried and am now back in therapy because of it too, they just don,t know how much hurt and illness they are causing to the genuinally ill people and they dont care, its all about figures
    karen xx

Quote Originally Posted by camperlady View Post
    i,m the same, had mine taken too, even tho i have spondalosisis of the spine n clinical depression gad, i,m in appeal at the moment but, its taking so long that i,m considering a houseshare, i just cant pay out, it,s making me worse i,m so worried and am now back in therapy because of it too, they just don,t know how much hurt and illness they are causing to the genuinally ill people and they dont care, its all about figures
    karen xx
    Sorry to hear you are having a bad time off it.

And you are right a lot of genuine people are not getting the care they need in calming benefits.
    I now alot of people who get all the extra help under the sun and don't need it like a friend of mine who has agoraphobia and as soon as he gets his money he is in the pub from morn to night every day.

At the moment myself and family can just about live on what we get (based on figures on the net we are in poverty). But I have put of trying to apply for benefits as we can just cope and I don't wish to take something away from people like you and miss moose.

I think the ATOS system needs a new overhaul to enclued mental health problems better as the like most of us it is a very soul distroying illness and has effects on not just us but or familys.

I wish you luck in your appeal

thankyou for your kind words extremx, it,s really making me ill, and, theres 1000,s like me or worse, i wouldn,t mind if there was n abundance of jobs anyway but there isn,t, it,s ridiculous, what will it take for them to see, suicides, n thats probably happened by now already, what,s this country coming to???
    ps, i,d love to get back to work at the end of day, but, all this is making that dream look even further into the future the more down n anxious i get xx

Quote Originally Posted by miss_moose View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how it works, but i've never worked, I came straight out of college in my 1st year 11 years ago, so I don't think it counts as i was under 18 when i became agoraphobic.

My husband works full time so i don't know if that will affect my benefit or not?
    Well, providing you've mentioned your husband on your claim form and they've agreed to give it to you, then they've obviously decided you are eligible for it.

It just seems strange (not that you're strange) that I had mine taken away from me when we're more or less in the same situation. Are you in the support group of the claim? I don't think that is means tested, but because I was only in the assessment stage (pre ATOS medical) when I told them about the change in circumstances, they instantly closed my claim.

I hope the results from the medical go well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information