Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atos Medical Assessments

Atos Medical Assessments

Our social security system, now called The Dept. of Work and Pensions (DWP), is sending everyone that is "on the sick" to a medical assessment run by a company called Atos. I have been to one 3 years before and was deemed too ill to work due to sciatica and stress.

This time my condition is worse but I was told in a letter that I am fit for work and my money has been stopped. The killer is that everything I said at that assessment was reversed; and they are doing this to everyone.

For example I stated my back was hurting (it was and it does) and the Dr said she could see I was in pain and she checked out the mobility of my lower back and it was poor. In the letter it said I had no back problem.

Did I leave work because of stress? Yes. Letter said no. Were my leisure activities affected? Yes. Letter said no. Housework? Yes. Letter said no. And so on for 15 questions out of about 40.

We are scored on a points system and I was robbed of about 20 points due to straight-up lying. I only needed 10 points in my case, people on the newer benefit need 15.

They use software called LiMA and they click boxes and it generates sentences about you. She also typed a lot, although not what I was saying, in fact the opposite.

The next step is to appeal but you have to live on 50 pounds a week until you get there in 9 months. Most people win the appeal but a lot can't handle the appeal because it's too complicated and stressful.

Please post if you have experience of this.

Re: Atos Medical Assessments

Hi there

This is a subject that has come up many times before, can I suggest that you type "employment support allowance" into the search function?

You will find loads of posts on benefits including some on ESA, I have had personal experience with this when I claimed for my daughter and you're absolutely right, they do lie.

We appealed and won but it took 6 months and a hell of a lot of determination to get there in the end. My daughter had been awarded ESA but had been placed in the work related activities group which was the wrong decision as she is unable to take part in any work, this is what I appealed against.

Thank you so much for replying. I was surprised that I found nothing about Atos (atosH, we call it on another forum).

I will search for ESA as you suggest.

Thanx

dj

Hi, were going to have a lot of problems now that the Tories are in power. One of thei manifestos was to get "lazy" people off of benefits. How they work out who is lazy and who isnt doesnt come into it. Youre on benefits ergo youre lazy.

My dad had this problem a few years ago and it took a few months for them to restart his benefits.

My assessment letter was in January, but for some reason theyve not called me in to see a doctor. God knows what I wrote this time that made them think just leave her alone shes obviously batty as a cat. Im hoping this new drive to get people off benefits doesnt cause me problems.

None of us need the extra stress this kind of thing leaves us with.
    I hope your claim goes through quickly.

Hi Vixxy

Yes there will be trouble. If you do get called up please please get advice from this website:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...edits-minimum/ because the Atos medical assessments are far more devious now.

I don't want to alarm people but I do feel a duty to persuade people to find out what is going on before it happens to them.

dj

Hi John

My older sister, who is 25, has ME and fibromyalgia and is unable to work. She can only manage a short walk each day. She was refused ESA but appealed with the help of my father and managed to get Legal Aid - there is a legal centre near my house which provides free legal advice and legal aid. It took almost a year but she won the appeal. This was almost 2 months ago however and they still haven't paid her any money because they still haven't decided what she's entitled to. It involves lots of paperwork going back and forth and lots of misunderstandings and misinformation on the part of the government agencies.

It is awful how they put ill people through so much stress and hassle. Since there was some publicity about people claiming disability benefits because they couldn't walk who were then found to be doing marathons and selling pirate videos in their spare time the government have used it as an excuse to 'crack down'. They set themselves a target to get 1 million people off Incapacity Benefits (something like that amount) but they apparently have no way of counting how many people are on it.

Hi unspoken

Yes it is political and good people are being stressed out of their wits. Atos are blatantly giving false information about people because they gain from getting people off the sick. People with serious problems are being told there is nothing wrong with them.

Incredible.

dj

Hi doktorjohn. I have had experience with them and I'm furious with them. They didn't listen to a word I said and basically told me I was fine. Feeling like I had no choice, I accepted it and tried to get on with life. Recently my anxiety's become worse than it's ever been and I'm going to have to deal with them again. I'm not looking forward to it and I think their practices are shameful! However that's not to say everyone will be treated the same, I guess.

Trouble is it looks like most people are being treated badly. You can win at the appeal though. Check out this website:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...edits-minimum/

dj

There should be some sort of documentary on TV about the truth of all this stuff, like the hassle and the complete crap that genuinely ill people go through, simply because they are all tarnished with the label that they are lazy, just because of a few liars who screwed the system. It's terrible!

~"...to reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people :
    Yes, We Can!!!! ~

Wolfieeeeee

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information