Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Convinced it's a brain tumour, scared!

Re: Convinced it's a brain tumour, scared!

I had something similar happen 3 years ago. My headache lasted weeks. My GP referred me to a neurologist and he said he wanted an MRI STAT!....which obviously increased my anxiety all the more. I had the MRI and it was clear. Guess what? As soon as I got the results, the headache disappeared. (I wish the anxiety would have! It's now my main focus in terms of my health..... EVERYTHING is a brain tumor symptom to me!) I think when we focus on something so much, we literally make the pain/dizziness worse than they actually are. Guaranteed if you get a scan, it'll disappear. I'm not advocating for you to get a scan, I'm just hoping you realize that the more you focus on it, the "worse" it'll be.

Hi I have had a similar experience recently. It has been 10days now of constant headaches. I thought having moved to a new building with my work (not a new job) the change of lights to big fluorescent lights triggered my headaches but having been away from them for the past 5days has made no difference! I have had an eye test and had my blood pressure taken and it has all come back normal! I have convinced myself I have a Tumour why else won't these headaches disappear!! Doctor thinks it is a tension headache but do they really last that long? What is tense my neck and shoulders feel fine??

Quote Originally Posted by New17 View Post
    I quite new to the health anxiety this is what scares me most! Iv had vertigo in the past and it dosnt really feel like that (room spinning etc) it's more like an off balance, light headed feeling. I was worried when the headaches came on but I just feel like now I have this light headed dizzy feeling it's just more evidence that I have some sort of tumour..

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

Thanks for the advice girl18, how long did your go on for? I don't think I can go in much longer like this I really feel like I'm dying or am gonna collapse some days. I don't drink caffeine but I am a sucker for chocolate, I have upped my water a lot recently, will continue to drink as much as I can. I have so much in my life that needs doing and I just feel housebound with all these complaints, I don't even know how I'm going to get through work tomrrow
    I had this headache for almost a month. It was bad! It would come and go. From the minute I opened my eyes, it was there. Keep drinking plenty of fluids. Anxiety causes headaches as well, so try to relax. Do you have lavender oil? Put a few drops into a bath and soak in it. Lavender helps with anxiety and tension.

Well I havnt been in here for a few weeks as my headache stopped for a week!! I thought I was over it then bam for the last week it has come back! I'm so down. The dizziness has now gone thank god, but I'm having really bad tingling in my lower right leg and sometimes right arm :(

Iv had this before which lead me to an MS fear but it stopped for a while but now it's returned with this headache. The headache isn't a pounding but more of dull, sometimes sharp pain in different parts of my head. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this it's really impacting on my life, it's waking me up in the night and it's really bad in the morning. Along with the tingling in my leg I'm pretty much convinced I'm not gonna be around for much longer. I'm 28 with a 6 year old this is horrible Iv felt this way for 6 months now with the headaches being around for 2 months

Just been reading your posts. Because I have a bad headache now so I did a search on the forum.
    I've had anxiety for many years and health anxiety too, so I've experienced a large number of symptoms over the years.
    Headaches is one if them. But here I am with a headache and I can't talk myself out of the "but what if it's something else" panic......

What really needs to be addressed is the anxiety. Nothing else. If the anxiety goes, the symptoms go along with it.
    But if we have anxiety we get the symptoms, then we worry about those symptoms and that just causes them to worsen, or more symptoms appear.

I've had dizziness, off balance, floaty feelings too. They were all due to anxiety.

I know you feel you can't live with this any longer, and it has been a while. But the fact that you anticipate and dread the symptoms actually brings them on.
    Reading your post above, you started to worry about MS and your headaches came back. Doesn't that tell you something?

Hi, thank you for your reply

Today has probably been the worst day for me I feel like I'm living on a knife edge just waiting for the day that the pain becomes so severe that it will confirm my fear. The pain today has been really bad on and off and I can't help but think this is it. The tingling in my leg hasn't been around for 4 days now but the head pain is unbearable, I'm so frightened I'm due to go on honeymoon on Sunday and I just can't go like this, everyone is going to be so upset with me but I'm so scared that something is going to happen while I'm away. There no explanation to this pain and all I can think if it was neck, viral, sinus etc it wouldn't of stuck around for 8 weeks! I've read so many scarey things and it just seem so relevant to me...headaches bad in the morning, tingling, headache that last a long time I just can't see that this would all be anxiety. I haven't felt right for 6 months now and all these new unexplained symptoms just keep getting worse.

First problem: you say you've read so many scary things. Stop reading because you're just fueling the anxiety.
    Second problem: you say you just can't see how this would all be anxiety. When you accept that it is indeed anxiety, your symptoms will disappear. I know it's hard to believe, but our mind controls our body, it's very powerful and I've learnt over the years just how many symptoms it can cause or magnify.
    Third problem: you're focusing on this symptom and have been for a long time now. Because of what you've read, your mind makes the pain seem worse and it prolongs the headaches.
    Many of us with anxiety disorder have cancelled holidays because we were terrified of suffering from our symptoms while we were in an unfamiliar place.
    From my experiences ( and I have cancelled trips and regretted it) when I got up the courage to go, I was so pleased I did. My anxieties left and I relaxed. So please do go on your honeymoon.
    What you really need to address is your anxiety so maybe look into some CBT, I see it's being offered for free from someone posting on this forum: http://cbt4panic.org/contact/

Do some relaxation for your headaches. Ban yourself from googling. Try some natural remedies like Rescue and aromatherapy oils. Ask your husband to massage your head. Have a nice long bubble bath. Avoid caffeine, alcohol and sugar for a while. There's lots you can do. Go for some walks, that usually helps me. But above all try to get your focus off the headaches and onto something else.

I know it's hard. This morning I had the Daddy of all headaches. (Niggling fears started earring away at me). That's how I found your post. I started answering other people's posts and an hour later my headache was almost gone.

I really hope you feel better soon. Try not to worry, because headaches do come with stress but they do go away. I know because I've been through what you're going through now, last year. And many other people on this forum have too.

Thank you for your reply again.

Things are just getting worse unfortunately the pain is becoming worse, I really think I need go to the hospital now but I'm am so scared to for what will happen, I feel as soon as I go that's gonna be it and it's going to confirm I'm going to die in a few months. I can't go away like this the pain is so bad sometimes, it will go for an hour and come back 10x worse not even pain killers are working now. I'm completely heartbroken. It's woken me up all last night being dull pressure in my forehead and all today has been a sharp pain constant in the right side of my head.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad. Remember that you have had tests and seen a doctor so I don't think it can be anything as serious as what you suspect. Which is making you so anxious and in turn intensifying your headaches.
    Remember they are trained professionals and would have done more if they suspected anything wrong.
    My brother, who has the same anxiety disorder as me, suffers badly with migraines. He anticipates them and really suffers with the pain. At times he has gone to hospital at night expecting the worst. They've given him painkillers by injection and sent him home. Now he has medication to control it.
    Maybe go and see your doctor again. You shouldn't have to suffer like this. He can give you something to provide some relief. Be honest with hm and tell him about your anxiety. He can only treat you if he knows everything .

Let us know. And I hope you're better soon. X

Quote Originally Posted by New17 View Post
    Well I havnt been in here for a few weeks as my headache stopped for a week!! I thought I was over it then bam for the last week it has come back! I'm so down. The dizziness has now gone thank god, but I'm having really bad tingling in my lower right leg and sometimes right arm :(

Iv had this before which lead me to an MS fear but it stopped for a while but now it's returned with this headache. The headache isn't a pounding but more of dull, sometimes sharp pain in different parts of my head. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this it's really impacting on my life, it's waking me up in the night and it's really bad in the morning. Along with the tingling in my leg I'm pretty much convinced I'm not gonna be around for much longer. I'm 28 with a 6 year old this is horrible Iv felt this way for 6 months now with the headaches being around for 2 months
    Well the fact that the pain went away and then came back would lead me to believe that it is something other than a brain tumour. A tumour would not go away and come back, and because there was no cranial pressure seen in your eye exam that would be great news too.

Maybe you have some muscle strains in your neck?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information