Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problems with St. John's Wort

problems with St. John's Wort

hello everyone,

Well, I started St. John's Wort about 3 weeks ago and was hoping it would be my saviour. I didn't feel anything for the first 2 weeks and about 5 days ago, I noticed that I had a rash on my right arm. It's still there but it's comes and goes. It's not too itchy but very much there nevertheless. I've also had a queasy tummy for the past couple of days. I'm not sure if it's because of this dodgy sandwich I ate at Amsterdam airport or if it's caused by the St. John's Wort. My only other symptom is tiredness. I called the NHS helpline today but don't think the woman I spoke to really knew what to say - she just said to go see my GP asap. Am now scared that the St. John's Wort is messing me up and that it's gonna cause something horrible to happen to me..

Any advice or reassurance welcome..

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

If you have had any sun exposure recently then this could be the SJW causing the rash, as it is well documented as a very photosensitive product.

You are not on the pill are you ?

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

No Meg - I'm not on the pill. I'm on nothing but the St. John's Wort. I haven't really been out in the sun either which is why I'm a bit surprised by the rash. Well, will keep taking them and hope for the best. Will also go see GP to make sure. Thanks!!

No sun in Germany ?

There was sun Meg was had a light jacket on most of the time so my wrists and legs (where the rash is) weren't showing..also, my tummy has been feeling sickly too - could it cause that?

Hi Sarah sorry you don’t feel so good, I take it you have finished the Cipralex now then? The only thing that puts me of saint johns wart is that it tells you not to take with so many meds especially anti depressants, If is so safe how come you can take most pain killers with meds but not st johns wart. As for the rash Sarah I have had trouble for many years with rash and itching coming and going, I have seen a dermatologist years ago and he said the rash was lechin planus often caused by bouts of anxiety. Maybe also it could be the coming off Cipralex? I m cutting down my Cipralex but a lot slower than my doctor recommended, I am going to cut down very slowly over a period of months to be on the safe side. Hope you feel better soon Tc Vernon

Thanks for the reply Vern hun. I guess it could be just caused by anxiety since coming off Cipralex - hadn't even considered that. Will ask GP as soon as I can get appointment.

Hi Sarah

I have been on SJW for 12 months now and I can honestly say I think it takes longer than 3 weeks to kick in.
    This is the 3rd time in 10 years I have been on it and never suffered side-effects apart from finding the sun a little too bright and having to wear sunglasses when driving, but that could also be an age thing! lol
    When my GP gave me the option of taking cipralex last year and I wanted to take SJW she said that SJW would take longer to work, at least a month.
    The tiredness could be due to anxiety and the nausea, as you are feeling anxious about SJW, also, the rash could be due to anxiety as Vernon said.
    Did you leave a long enough gap between coming off Cipralex and taking SJW?
    Hope this makes sense and is of some help to you.

Take care

Elaine x

hi Elaine,

Thanks for your post. I left about 6 weeks between stopping the Cipralex and starting the SJW, which should be enough I think. I'm hoping that the tiredness, the rash and the nausea are just being caused by my anxiety and that the SJW will soon start to kick in..

Sarah

Lainey - has SJW really helped you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information