Thread: Big relapse

Big relapse

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and will introduce myself later.
    Three weeks ago I was having a panic attack while trying to fall asleep. I had panic attacks several times due to my hypochondria, which I coped with pretty good. It has always been pretty harmless. But this is new for me because the panic attack happened without a reason, it just came out of nowhere. There were some stressful events in the last few weeks, maybe this was the tigger (death of my dog, stress in school). However, I'm in a constant state of anxiety or anxious thoughts since this panic attack, which I never had before, this is what fightens me. I doubled the dosage of citalopram (which I am using for years), now 20 mg. The thoughts revolve around the fear of never getting better again, that I might get depressed and so on. Google has been my main occupation the last days, I'm constantly searching for stories if people get better or how worse their anxiety is. I know, I should stop doing that. I had no signs of anxiety in two years and now that... Will there be better days again? I am searching for a therapist now. Some positive thoughts and reassurance would help me a lot!

xoxo

Re: Big relapse

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Anxiety and panic comes together so what you experienced is only natural. It's a good thing that you're currently taking medication but I recommend that you don't increase the dosage not unless your doctor prescribe an increase. You should really look for a therapist, you shouldn't rely solely on medications, you should back it up with other alternative approaches. Your anxiety would diminish better if you have a proper treatment regimen.

So along with your medications you should also include counseling, meditation techniques, breathing exercises, and some midfulness programs. You should also try some herbal teas for calming your nerves. I would also recommend nutritional supplements like fish oil, 5-HTP, and Endoca Hemp products. Endoca hemp oil have anxiolytic properties that is proven to be effective in alleviating anxiety. Aromatherapy, massage therapy, and simple listening to soothing music also have very significant effects in reducing anxiety.

I know that stress and fatigue really can weaken us in our fight with mental health issues. The thing to do is to be positive, proactive, and resilient. Don't give up and keep fighting. Have the discipline to commit to your treatments and eventually you will overcome this condition.

Hello and welcome to the site!

What Ray said is something I'd advise you to do, too. Counselling is extremely helpful as it helps you identify not only your riggers, but the reason why you have anxiety in the first place. Routine helps with keeping your anxiety levels in check as does keeping yourself occupied.

Accumulated stress causes the anxiety that 'comes out of nowhere'. I'd like to comfort you by saying that the road to recovery is never a straightforward one. There were times when I felt like I was going backwards, but in actual fact, there is no backwards, only blips and setbacks which you shouldn't be discouraged by. I can tell you from personal experience (I've been suffering for 15 years now) that it does get better. I've had stages in my life where I'd go months without any anxiety and panic. I had a relapse a couple of years ago, but am feeling much better now, and have just had a panic-free month.

It takes time, but as time goes on, you'll learn how to better manage your symptoms as well as eliminate the anxiety altogether.

Hope you feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and will introduce myself later.
    Three weeks ago I was having a panic attack while trying to fall asleep. I had panic attacks several times due to my hypochondria, which I coped with pretty good. It has always been pretty harmless. But this is new for me because the panic attack happened without a reason, it just came out of nowhere. There were some stressful events in the last few weeks, maybe this was the tigger (death of my dog, stress in school). However, I'm in a constant state of anxiety or anxious thoughts since this panic attack, which I never had before, this is what fightens me. I doubled the dosage of citalopram (which I am using for years), now 20 mg. The thoughts revolve around the fear of never getting better again, that I might get depressed and so on. Google has been my main occupation the last days, I'm constantly searching for stories if people get better or how worse their anxiety is. I know, I should stop doing that. I had no signs of anxiety in two years and now that... Will there be better days again? I am searching for a therapist now. Some positive thoughts and reassurance would help me a lot!

xoxo

Welcome, I to agree with what Ray says..I took small steps, struggled took bigger steps when I felt confident, until finally VERY VERY little Panic Attacks. I went from off and on panic attacks all day long to where I am now Going Months without having one..

This Site was a HUGE part of it, I didn't realize how many symptoms were a part of Panic Attacks until I asked around on this site and found it amazing how many went through what I had gone through...

Best Of Luck..You Will MAKE IT!

Estranged
    WhyEvenPanic.com

Thread Information