Thread: Day 12 (5 days on 20mg)

Day 12 (5 days on 20mg)

Hello,

I'm 12 days into taking citalopram (last 5 at 20mg).

I took citalopram about 6 years ago (although I was much worse then) and made a full recovery (together with CBT) and so am pretty confident they'll do the trick again this time. They're already starting to work as although mornings are quite anxious - evenings are pretty good (I take my pills at 8pm each night).

What complicates it this time is I have two young children but they are also a source of strength (alongside my understanding wife - I'm lucky).

I think it was the stress of the school run (three drops offs back and forth across town (due to timings) together with, picking them up in the evenings, get washed and fed and chasing my two boys to get ready in time which sparked it off this time. I only do this three times a week but I'm only just starting to realise how stressed this was making me.

I didn't want to be depressed again (who does) so I think I was in denial for a while as I've had what I now suspect as a chronic tension headache for about 7 months and a dull (sometimes sharp) ache in my side. It's not gone yet either but I'm hopeful.

Partly, this post is to ask if anyone else has had tension headaches for long periods and if they can recommend anything but i also wanted to say I've been through this before and to tell anyone who is worried that citalopram works (CBT really helps too as I've remembered the basic idea) you just have to get through the horrible initial week or two of side effects (my anxiety got far worse) - IT IS WORTH IT.

Stay strong everyone.
    Last edited by Citalhooray; 27-11-15 at 13:39.

Re: Day 12 (5 days on 20mg)

I'm on the same day/dosage as you. I'm day 5 of 20mg. Have you found your anxiety increase loads? I was also on citalopram 5 years ago. Do you think it will definitely work again for me like the first time?

Re: Day 12 (5 days on 20mg)

My anxiety did increase loads especially in the morning but it's getting better and evenings at home are nearly normal already. At one point I wondered if it was worth it but from my previous time I knew it was. Can be pretty scary for anyone using it for the first time.

If it worked for you before I think it should work again. You just have to get through the rough start.

Thread Information