Thread: Feeling Wierd!

Feeling Wierd!

Does anybody else have a strange sensation somedays like they are not really participating in what is going on.I woke up feeling a bit nervy and jittery and for the rest of the day I have felt a bit detached from things,that's the only way I can describe it.My husband said that I look miles away and I have read a few posts on here about depersonalization,is this what it is?I feel a bit scared as I don't know what this means,is it another form of anxiety?Any advice would be helpful.

Re: Feeling Wierd!

Hi Mother - thats exactly what is sounds like - for me thats the worse part of anxiety - try and ignore it as the more attention you give it, the worse it gets x

Mothermac

Depersonalization means exactly what you have just wrote. It means not feeling yourself, detached from others, personality change.
    It is awful as bab said & is the worst thing with anxiety, but it does get better & you will feel yourself in no time. Lack of sleep will make this work so try & get lots of rest.

Nickie xx

Thanks Bab and Nickie for replying,I feel a little better this evening and have been singing along whilst doing a spot of gardening.I think like Bab said the more I think about it the worst it will get,hope it doesn't happen tomorrow.

This is something I feel alot too, even this morning with the kids. On my own part I think its a result of my distraction. I am forever trying to take my mind off my anxiety by spending hours on the computer, reading a book or something like that. I think I spend so much time in my own little world that when I am pulled out of that it feels strange even with my own family. So as a result I am trying not to dictract myself so often and for so long.

All the best

Nechtan

Hi,

I get this too. It is always there to varying degrees, but it gets worse when I am really messed up in the head / super anxious.

I used to get it when I was depressed about 10 years ago, but as the depression lifted, so did the spaced out feeling that you describe.

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

Hi hun

I know its hard for you , put try not to fear this symtpom, like panic, its just our minds way of trying to protect us.

The fligh, fight response is something we all have, its our protection mode, but when its triggered for what seems like no reason, this is when it can become a problem. Are lack of understanding and our fears help keep it there.

Dp, Dr, is another way of our minds trying to protect us, to take us away from what we feel we are scared of, it there trying to stop us from haveing anymore stress, it trys to pull us away and into protection mode, I know I read somewhere that you should welcome this feeling, at the time I thought, ohhh boy, how the hell can I welcome it when I am sooo scared of it, BUT, hunny, if you can try and just let it be there, try not to be scared of it, it helps sooo much, the more we fear this symptoms, the more our minds protection mode jumps in and this symptom may stay longer.

When I was acute, I tried using postive self thought, with this, eg, its ok, its only anxiety, its there to protect me, I will be fine, it will pass.

I know this can be very scary, but hun, it will not harm you in anyway, its your protection mode.

This is what is written about Dp dr on this great site, Nic has great info behind these forums that are all well worth reading.

What you feel:

Now for the Brain – the limbic system in the brain instigates this whole response and is responsible too for our emotions and behaviour One of the body symptoms that people hate most is the one when you feel all foggy, surreal, woozy or spacey. You may either feel that you are not real or that the earth is not real and you’re a time warp away. These are often the hardest symptoms to understand and its very common to deduce that you must be going mad which makes you panic even more. This is completely untrue and you are very safe. You feel like you are not a part of what is going on, or that you feel like you are in a dream state or ‘out of touch with things’. Also, things around you may seem like they are shimmering, foggy, hazy or too bright.
    What causes this:

As we learned in Understanding, the body and mind are tightly integrated. What affects one affects the other. This symptom is another example of how an over stimulated nervous system can cause us to experience odd and impaired feelings, emotions and perceptions. Much like how a psychoactive or recreational drug can alter one’s mental state, an over active nervous system can affect certain body chemistries thereby producing mind altering effects. The feeling of unreality or disassociation is one type of altered mental state that high levels of stress biology can produce. It is not completely understood what goes here but it is generally thought that the limbic system in the brain decides there is too much going on and goes into a self protection mode and shuts out excess stimuli. As the adrenaline levels decrease and you calm down it clears. This can be several hours days or weeks.

YOU TAKE CARE

Wishing you well

LOVE JILLXXX
    Last edited by jill; 20-09-08 at 23:11.

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

i feel this way a lot too! but OMG Jill, your post hepled me so much! THANK YOU!

Hi Monika

Happy that my reply help you hun

Please take time to read through this great site, not only threads which have great advice, but the info behind the site, this is on the left hand side, its all great info and defo worth reading, it helped me sooo much. Printing stuff off helps too, so you can re read it at different times, are minds take time to programme info in, so by reading it at differet time's, this help too. If we are reading something when Mrs A is about this can have an effect on just how much we take in, we may see more the negative side of things, so reading things at different times, helps it log in more, mm, hope you know what I mean.

YOU TAKE CARE

Wishing you well

LOVE JILLXXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

I had one of the worst, random panic attacks on a Thursday in school. After that I had this (depersonalization) for 3 days straight, but I took Friday off and slept in and slept at least 9 hours every night for the weekend and it was gone by Monday. I think It was mostly from lack of sleep and being worried about getting another panic attack. Just felt detached from myself and things around me. Its harmless and will go away, I found that just sleep good, do some running, and try not to give it much attention made it go away.

Thread Information