Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cipralex (escitalopram)

Cipralex (escitalopram)

Hi all,

Have just started taking Cipralex for anxiety/depression. Has anyone else used it and what side effects have they had? I've had disturbed sleep and increased anxiety, not to mention muscle spasms. Is this normal? I'm also feeling quite hyper, almost high this afternoon. I've only been taking the drug for 4 days. Does it get better?

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Hiya Merlin

Loads of posts on the forum about it. You can use the search facility at the top of the screen to look previous posts up.

Lexapro (Us name) is called Cipralex in the UK - a small variation on citalopram so check out the website page at www.nomorepanic.co.uk/medication.htm

A long post on Citalopram can be found at:

http://nomorepanic.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=72

Happy reading

Nicola

Hi Merlinssister, just replied to one of your posts and then I saw this one, as I previously said medication really helped me to get over this bout of anxiety and depression and it is cipralex that I am now taking. They do heighten your anxiety for a few days which is something I know we don't need but stich with it, they have really worked wonders for me I feel "normal " if thats the right word to use , Ireally hope they do the same for you, Take care Tara x

Hi merlin's sister

I have used cipralex and found i had early symptoms of nausea and panic etc, i find it really good though.

However, this is a condition called serotonin syndrome which is characterised by euphoria and muscle twitching among other things which means you may need to stop the tablets. I'm sure this isnt what you have but maybe you should just phone the doctor to check. or maybe meg has some more advice than me on this.

All in all, I find it a bit of a wonder drug as I stop panicking with them! Good luck.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

hi there,

I've been on cipralex since september and it has done wonders for me. It made me feel really anxious and weird for the first week or two and then it really started making me feel better. I am still improving every month and am so glad that it has worked for me. most people i have spoken to who take cipralex have really found that it has helped them loads. don't worry - i'm sure it'll be the same for you too!!

Sarah (seh1980)

Hi

Im into week 2 of Cipralex after failing with Effexor.

Second time for me although i think in hindsight I came off too early last time after about 5 months and the symptoms were back within a couple of months. Combining with counselling this time to see if that helps. Usual side effects for me are nausia and loss of appetite plus heightned anxiety. This was only bad for the first week this time although after having a few drinks on Sunday I am still feeling rough 2 days later. Still having good days and bad (today particularyly Bad) but hopefully short lived. Has anyone noticed a huge improvement when upping to 20mgs as I have only ever taken 10mgs?

S

hi

i dont no if exactly the same but i am on day 9 of cipramil after giving up on effexor after 5 days. i started on 20mg straight away. i have felt anxious for a few days in the first week with no other side effects. i take it at 9pm and have been sleepy in the morning and tired during the day but as the days are passing this is getting better.

side effects are the worst thing about taking medication and sometimes they can make us worriers worse. but if we can conquer the first few weeks of side effects they are only going to help us on our road to recovery!

dawn x

Thanks guys. That's been really helpful. Have been back to the doc today, and she doesn't feel the side effects are anything to worry about, so it's more a personal choice. Going to give it another week to see how it goes.

And thanks for the info on the American labels etc. I wondered if it was the same as citalopram, but wasn't sure.

all my side effects wore off after about a week so by the end of next week i bet you'll feel fine!

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information