Thread: Scared of medical equipment.

Scared of medical equipment.

So for my entire life, I have been afraid of needles. I wouldn’t get light-headed because of being near them, but I would tense up and want to run away as fast as I could. When I was 12, I had a panic attack at the doctors office, was restrained and inoculated. This took my “fear” and made it near unbearable. This fear also applies to IVs/blood drawings but those are much more intense for some reason.

Soon I am going to have to get more vaccines (I have not had any since I was 12) and I am really confident that I would A: Cry and have another panic attack, B: Run out of the office before they even call my name or C: Cancel the appointment.

This is really embarrassing and it sorta rules my life in these regards. I never asked to be pretrified by piercing pointy objects. Anything is greatly appreciated. Thank you! ~Jordon Frankfurt

Re: Scared of medical equipment.

Hello,

First of all - the way you were restrained whilst having a panic attack sounds very unprofessional on the doctors behalf and incredibly traumatic on your behalf :( No wonder you're so frightened.

Secondly, I would suggest on avoiding cancelling your appointment. Medical equipment and needles are something you will have to get over in order to maintain a good health. Keep in mind the injection will benefit you in the the long run. Try and take someone with you for support and remember the actually vaccine its self lasts a few seconds - not even. The vaccine will also benefit you for life, it's worth the short time it lasts! Also, discuss your worries with your consultant - they're usually very understanding and will be able to reassure you as much as they can.

I hope this helped. Good luck

it has been ~3 years since I was held down and you are the first person to tell me I wasn’t at fault. Everyone else has told me “you should have just gotten it over with”, “you shouldn’t have panicked” “he did the right thing holding you down”, you have no idea how nice it is to hear something saying it wasn’t my fault for being scared! Thank you so much!

On the topic of bringing someone along with to make it easier, I have no siblings and my mother was the one who requested that I be held down so I do not trust her at all at the doctors.

As far as “it’s quick and it only hurts a little bit.” This I have heard many times and does not fail to make me feel bad. Fact of the matter is I should be able to get shots without an issue. I have played soccer and gotten a ball to the face more times than I can count, I have played airsoft without any safety gear, and I have even ran a half marathon (one of the most painful things in my life, I wasn’t prepared.) with being able to do all that you would think I would be able to get a shot. It just isn’t reasonable to be so needlessly scared of something designed to help you.

For those wondering, I am 14.

Thank you for your efforts,
    ~Jordon Frankfurt.

when I had to have some blood taken from my arm, I had a lovely nurse called rachel who did the needle stuff.

I burst in to tears because needles friten me, and she told me to focus on something I like, focus on a tv programme or something, and tell her about it.

before long, I was talking to her in great detail about my love for johny vegas, and everything he is in

I didn't feel a thing!.

when she said oh it's over, i'm like... really?

(I was too distracted by johny vegas to even notice.)

I am stilll terrified, but on that ocasion, it helped

with other peaces of equipment, I tend to ask the doctors/ nurses to do it on themselves first

sort of test... well if they can do it without something happening to them, surely I can do it too

embarrassing but it works

Thread Information