Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 year old, localized twitching, als ?

Symptom of ALS or anxiety ?

Hello, I am 18. About a week ago, I woke up every hour or two hours. This lasted for 3 days. Also, if I would lay down, I would feel chest pain. But no shortness of breath. I was very worried at that time, because I have mild foot cramps and I already thought it might be ALS at that time. My mom then gave an anti anxiety magnesium pill and I could sleep for 3 night well again, even the chest pain stopped. However the last 2 nights, I woke up like 2-3 times a night and last night like every other hour again. I am afraid it is ALS weakening my breathing muscles. I do a lot of football and weight training and my stamina did not worsen and i dont feel any shortness of breath there, but I read somewhere that sleep problems are the first to come. I do not have any headache, confussion when waking up. Just the regular wakings. I can remember my dreams.

Re: Symptom of ALS or anxiety ?

Definitely not ALS... Please read this!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

19 year old, localized twitching, als ?

Hey,

I am 19 years old, I do have health anxiety, and I have been pretty stressed for the past 3 months. The problem is, about 4 weeks ago, I started twitching in my right shoulder, it came out of nowhere while using the computer. Lasted for a few minutes and vas visible, not in a pattern (changing between slow and fast). I thought of ALS right away, and became aware of my body...I was twitchin all over, but mostly it was 1 on/off twitch, but sometimes I would get constatnt twitch, for example in my calf etc..However a week later, I developed the same constant twitch in my lower tricep, it happened while using the computer, lasted for like 20 minutes I guess, and then I got it the next day while driving in the same location. Lasted for about 30 minutes, until I started moving. Ever since then, for the last 3 weeks, I have been getting twitches in the tricep area. They are sometimes very fast, usually visible, and I thought they get better with movement. Because every time I got them, it was during resting, or when not being very active. However, this week, we are on a holiday and we have done a lot of hiking and I kept touching and observing my tricep, I could not really feel anything while moving (the twitch might be there, just not possible to feel because the hand extends while walking) and during stopping, I did not seem to get it. However yersterday, I would hike for 30 minutes, then stop and get the twitch RIGHT AWAY. I got his like 2 times. Until now, I thought the twitching got better with movement but the fact I got it right when stopping, makes me think that the twitching is there while moving, but I jut dont feel it. Now I get the twitching in my tricep most of the time, it is 1 on and off twitch and about 1 or 2 times a day I get very intense and visible twitching which can last up to about 45 minutes. I also get little pop twitches on other body parts, but they are not intesne and last only like a secnd. In 98% of time in happens in the tricep. Firstival I thought that maybe it could be because of lack of sleep or too much caffeine (about a liter of green tea a day + coffee), but now on vacation all of that is fixed, I only have one coffee for breakfast and it still happens, and also it is localized on the tricep. I did not work out in a long time beffore this started or used my arm very much (even though it is my dominant arm). The bad thing is, that about 2 weeks ago, I actually managed to get rid of the twtich for about 3 days, because I was driving to a football game with a friend, got the twitching in the car, but it dissaperead right, when I started moving, I was positive, and the twitcing really was not there for like 3 days, however I went to watch TV and on the 3rd day, I got the twitch again. I was not thinking about it or stress about it at that time, which makes be beleive it really is ALS. I am so afraid. Honestly, I just sit there, waiting till it starts twitching, and when it does, it makes me want to kill myself. The twitching is just too much for me to handle. I cannot pay an EMG from my own cash, and I dont think it is covered by insurance. Any ideas ? Should I be worried ? I dont think I have any weakness (I did hit the gym yersterday, still could lift normally) and I dont think I have any atrophy, but still, I read some stories of ppl having widespread twitching, which move into one spot and then they were diagnosed with ALS. Thank you for help.

Re: 19 year old, localized twitching, als ?

READ THIS as many times as you need to.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Thx, I know, I read thousands of these, but my twitching is localized, not widespread, there is no cause besides als.

I guess you miraculously recovered from your previous diagnosis? That's some awfully bad luck to get it twice!

Positive thoughts

Yes I know, but these are other symptoms, pay attention to those, not to my last worry.

Quote Originally Posted by jaroslav.prossv View Post
    Yes I know, but these are other symptoms, pay attention to those, not to my last worry.
    Well I guess you better get to the doctor then The "Told Ya So Gang" is on standby

Positive thoughts

I have HA and went down the ALS rabbit hole. But at 19 the chances of ALS is absolutely laughable. I’m 29 and ALS sufferers told me it’s 1 in 1,000,000 chance (a literal statistic by the way not exaggerated).

I had twitching in my right arm for two weeks non stop a few weeks ago. I just knew it wasn’t ALS. It went, so will yours. The more you think about your shoulder the longer your twitching will last

Quote Originally Posted by jaroslav.prossv View Post
    Thx, I know, I read thousands of these, but my twitching is localized, not widespread, there is no cause besides als.
    Whaaat? No cause besides ALS? Are you kidding me?

BFS can manifest itself as both localized and widespread twitching. So can anxiety. You don't have atrophy, you don't have clinical weakness, you are way too young for the disease onset - you don't have ALS. Period.

Margaret Thatcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information