Thread: Lots of symptoms, 15yo male & extremely worried

Question Lots of symptoms, 15yo male & extremely worried

I'm a 15 year old guy and I'm really worried somethings wrong with me. I'm really underweight being 5'8" and 101 pounds. I've been to 105 after trying to eat a lot, but currently 101 and I'm trying to keep up my nutrition, started making smoothies with protein powder and fruits recently, but beside my weight, I have terrible anxiety, and possibly something wrong with me, so we saw a physician months ago and he did a checkup and said everything was fine. But last week on Monday night I was having trouble breathing and at times having trouble feeling my heart beat so me and my mom went to Urgent Care and they checked us out and said I was fine and it was most likely anxiety, but he said he will do an ECG to be safe so he did it and saw a little abnormal spike in the ECG that could indicate right bundle branch block (basically harmless) and said he wouldn't wait to go to the emergency room.. SO, we went to the emergency room and waited for 5 hours in the lobby and was finally admitted and the docs hooked me up to the heart monitor, got my blood pressure checked and after monitoring for 2 hours, we were told everything was fine. We had the pediatrician (child heart doctor) come in, well 2 actually, plus another ECG. They turned out fine, and the pediatricians said its something common we see in teens, could be hormonal imbalances along with anxiety, and told me I shouldn't be worried about it. I showed him my chest by taking my shirt off because I am really like flat chested, it could be that I'm just skinny, but my chest goes a little in, he said it could be a minor case of pectus evacummus or something, but if it was bad, could get surgery, and it didn't completely look like it, so they did a chest xray just to be safe, and that turned out fine, so we were sent home and all was good, until yesterday I had a panick attack or I could't tell what it was and went to the nurse in school and told them my legs have been aching for 2 hours since 2nd period and I told them the anxiety problems I had before but they used the finger clip thing to check your blood pressure and like oxygen level or whatever and said it was fine and most likely anxiety, so I guess all was fine then. We have a pediatrician appointment with someone we know personally being the pediatrician on the 23rd, and we had this scheduled before we went to the ER, and the ER docs know about it, and possessively hes going to give me a 24/7 mini heart monitor and an Ultra Sound on my heart, but I'm scared to death I'm gonna die between today and tomorrow and the next day because It feels like the symptoms have worsened :( I've told my mom about these and she's almost positive its anxiety but wants me to ease on the side of caution in case anything happens so I tell her about everything and it makes me feel better. But I keep having these issues, I feel like the docs are missing something, I'm worried I have a blood clot to my brain or something wrong with my veins and most of my days I am scared to death. It is really hard man I want to tell my self its anxiety but I'm convinced its something else, and by the way, I was having some issues typing this and before this, for example, an hour ago my hands were really cold and I didn't even feel like I was in a panic attack but the anxiety was lingering no matter how much I tried to distract myself it was hard but here are a list of my symptoms, the cold hands and feet and vision parts only started happening in the last few days, and my stress levels have been very high in last week, dealing with some other personal stuff Id love to talk about but would have to write an essay. Symptoms: Weird slight pain in my chest rarely, weird slight feeling in my chest rarely like something is stuck at the bottom of my esophagus or in my sternum, sometimes heart flutter, fatigued, depressed, tight breathing even when I have my mind off anxiety (or least I think I have my mind off anxiety), trouble with stairs even after I have my mind off, can feel when my veins slightly pop out in my hands but they go back in when I raise my hands which is something I read was good, Head rushes, weird vision like heat wave like images, feeling like losing connection with reality, no appetite; small stomach, sometimes red hands and cold hands and recently sometimes cold feet, head rushes when I drink coke or water fast and it gives me like a head throb.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, Ill answer any questions too. Im looking for answers man, im SCARED to DEATH.

Re: Lots of symptoms, 15yo male & extremely worried

First things first —- BREATHE.

I have periods of time where I get every one of the symptoms you mention, plus some new ones lol. The bad part about anxiety, and health anxiety in general, is that our mind becomes hyper aware to every little twinge that we feel. And it always seems like the only answer to those twinges are the most catastrophic ones.

It sounds like you had all kinds of tests ran at the ER, and you’re following up with a peds doc. You’re doing the right things, however while that’s going on you also need to manage the anxiety. For me, once my anxiety gets going full force, it can be really difficult to reign back in. I’ve had episodes last me months. The most helpful things for me have been to find hobbies that offer distraction, listen to a mindfulness app (on the App Store, called Head Space), and I tend to turn off tv about 30 mins before bed and listen to nature sounds on YouTube. My recent favorite is thunderstorms

I know some of that may sound really goofy. But it’s all about finding what works for you. I’ve had HA since I was your age. I’m 39 now. I hate to see you worry about this for as long as I have. Definitely work on managing the anxiety. This site has some great resources to read too!! Best wishes!

Re: Lots of symptoms, 15yo male & extremely worried

Hey

Everything you mention points towards anxiety, including the fact that your'e a little bit underweight. It's possible this is caused by schoolwork, or issues in your social/family life? Either way, it doesn't sound like there's anything medically to be worried about right now. Even more so at your age!

I would definitely recommend focusing on managing the anxiety now. That in itself should help you eat better and improve your appetite. Being underweight and in a state of semi-starvation alone can cause the body to go into an anxious state.

Is it possible to refer yourself for some talk therapy to start the ball rolling?

Thread Information