Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Honey for anxiety/depression

Re: Honey for anxiety/depression

Just catching up with this thread. I'm still taking a tablespoon of honey each day (in Chinese tea) though I have long since changed to normal honey instead of Manuka, down to cost, and haven't noticed any major differences. I still think for me the benefit is down to the sugar/glucose though I agree with the post above that I don't get any kind of crash at all afterwards unlike from when I have sugary coffee or sugary food. Maybe it's just a better and more natural way to give you a sugar hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenious View Post
    Maybe it's just a better and more natural way to give you a sugar hit?
    I think you might be right there mate, about the glucose too.

I stopped the honey in the early winter, and since then my depression and anxiety have been out of control. I was rock-bottom after Christmas. I am certain this is not directly in any way related to the honey, it's due to other factors.

At the same time my IBS and gastritis returned worse than ever before. This is most probably due to the awful rise of depression and anxiety. But I went out and bought a pot of Rowse factor 10+ the other day, and am back on it. Although the anxiety had been reducing, my stomach is still awful. It'll be interesting to see if the honey helps again in the next few days.
    Last edited by eight days a week; 11-02-12 at 15:27.

Just thought I'd add to this - Aldi sell the 10+ manuka honey for £4 compared to Tesco who sell it for about £13!!! big price difference

I have bought some but am yet to try it , will update this thread when I do!

Yes be interesting what happens over the next few weeks for you eight days a week, sorry to hear you've had quite a dip. It's never nice getting to the stage where you want to end it all, but you are still alive and fighting and hopefully on an "up" now.

One benefit of the honey for me is totally removing that awful mid-morning "dip" I used to get where I'd become tired, irritable and very, very hungry. Sometimes that would have a knock-on effect for the rest of the day. Taking honey has almost completely removed that dip and I feel a lot better for it. I also wonder if the pint of Chinese tea I drink is connected to this, since it's essentially a pint of warm water. So I get a glucose/sugar fix and re-hydrated

Potato11 - great spot with the Aldi honey, must pop in there tomorrow and have a look.

i read these posts when they first started and although i found them interesting did no more about it,,two weeks ago i came down with a heavy head cold,,my throat was tickly and hot and every time i lay down id cough ,,so as always i started taking my spoon of manuka honey ,,this helps the cough and throat,,but not only that i noticed my tummy had far less problems ,,and my mood was better calmer ,,even though i felt ill at times i was still going shopping even managed the huge tesco store a real problem on a good day,,having agoraphobia ,,any illness just makes it far worse i normally stay at home,,but i was ok,,took everything in my stride,,like some have said i find i need sugar to keep my mood stable well the honey seems to have done the same thing,,infact since my colds improved ive stopped the honey and noticed a change in mood again,,i might try a few more weeks back on it to see what happens ,,worth a try anyway lol

I'm still taking the Manuka honey in my porridge every morning since I first read this post. I don't know if it's done anything for the anxiety but my tummy seems settled. I suffer from low blood sugar and do get a bit of a crash after a couple of hours even though I have nuts, seeds and blueberries on it too.
    I'm getting mine from Holland and Barret whilst the 1p sale is on. You have to buy one jar at full price though!
    I won't give it up because I don't suffer much with colds now and if I do get one, it's not so severe or long lasting.

Following some recommendations. I tried, more than once to make sure, to stir two spoons of honey in hot water and drink it in the morning. I felt as someone has pushed my panic button. This time the attack took much longer to wane as if It's woken the evil inside me.. awful .. really awful!

I have started having a cup of chamomile tea with two spoons of manuka honey. Only been doing it a few days so don't have any comments just yet.

I will try it for a month and see if anything changes. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I would be careful with the amount of honey you take. It's full of sugar, so will feed bad bacteria in your gut if you have an overgrowth and could cause anxiety. It's good in small amounts and if you have a healthy gut, but don't go nuts on it. I can't have it at all due to my gut.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information