Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood in phlegm - Lung Cancer Worry

Unhappy Blood in phlegm - Lung Cancer Worry

I am going out of my mind with worry here

I have been having a small streak of blood in my phlegm, Eeewwww yes I know, it may be too much info but I really need some hugs or help or something...

It started a couple of months ago with a bad cold and mucus etc, had it a couple of times and the doc said that it was probably just a burst capilliary from having been bad or coming from the back of my nose...

It happened a couple of more time and I noticed that my nose was also bleeding slightly at times, not a full on pour but when I blew my nose there was a bit of blood :(

It happened again over Christmas a couple of times and again today...Arghhhh I am petrified I have lung cancer or something

I'm 34 and I do smoke and no I shouldnt but its a vicious circle, my anxiety levels sometimes make me feel like turning to drink as well as fags...

I went to see the doc yesterday and he said my chest sounded clear, I have no cough, I have not lost any weight and I am not breathless...

The only cough I do have is a kind of forced cough from my throat when I feel like something is stuck like phlegm...

The half a dozen times it has happened I have noticed that my nose has had a bit of blood as well and although I am pretty sure its from my nose and then going down it freaks me out when it happens like it did 5 mins ago...

My doc is sending me for a chest x-ray which is on Wednesday and has said he is going to assume its negative and refer me to ENT as well...He has been amazing but it isn't stopping my cruel mind fom thinking the worst :(

I was wondering if anyone had anything similar happen to them or if maybe someone can offer some pearls of wisdom that might help me calm down at this moment in time...

Re: Blood in phlegm - Lung Cancer Worry

Pearls of wisdom? I can't promise that

I have had this Jo, it was down to a burst vein and it took forever to clear.

I am pretty sure the doc would pick up anything more sinister on your visits so try and accept it's highly likely that it's something trivial.

And when you do see the Doc after your X-Ray then accept that everything is fine .

TC

Jaco

Hi Jaco and thank you for your swift reply

I think I am soooo wound up because it has just happened again and its been about a half a dozen times this week now :(

I wish it was Wednesday although I dont even know if I get the results there and then or if I have to wait...

No you won't know the result straight away after your chest xray, you will have to wait for your doc to get the report, this can take a while, don't know what the waiting time is there, but in my hospital ( I'm a radiographer ) it's 1-2 weeks for GP stuff.
    There are lots of causes of blood in phlegm, but as yours started with a cold it's likley it's nothing sinister and your doc is right it's just a burst capillary, especially as you get bleeding from your nose too.

Hi Dimblonde

It could be coming from your sinus that would effect your nose as well.
    your doctor is doing the right thing sending you for a chest x ray. and if they do find a infection you will hear the same day, if not your doctor will get the results in about 7-10 days
    try not to worry i know it is not easy but if your doctor said your chest was clear then i dont think you have anything to worry about.

I quite often get this, and do you know what mine is, she says embarrasingly, bleeding gums, LOL....... they bleed very easily, and quite often give the illusion that there is blood in my phlegm.
    Phlegm often is a yukky colour anyway even if no infec, depending on what we have eaten etc.
    I have spent ages worrying about the same thing as you, I am still here, still have blood there at times, but am sure its just my gums. Take care.

Hi Jo. yes i have had somting simual to wat u hav i hav got in right now i hav a reli sore throte and a little blood in my plem not that much but i am still worried it could be cancer or summen. p.s if anyone else nos wat it could be plz reply telling me so thank you tizzywhizz90 aka Toni xx txs xx

Smile Re: Blood in phlegm - Lung Cancer Worry

Hi Tizz,

Most likely a minor form of lung infection, so fear not - it'll not be a serious nastie - maybe like me... a touch of the bronchials; just see your medic be it a GP or MD, or the nearest Accident or Emergency room if you find your own medical facility on gridlock due to the recent bad weather.

txs mystical x x x

Hello... hope you are well now and your xray came back ok. I am having a lung/throat cancer fear at the moment. Ive had a tickly cough on and off for ages but not much to notice. You might have seen from my previous posts that I coughed a streak of blood one morning at the weekend, admitedly I had a nosebleed the night before just before I went to bed, but now I am scared I have a serious illness. A sore throat has developed since the weekend, which makes things worse.
    Years ago I had the same lung cancer fear and ended up having the chest xray which came back clear - I hope my fear/sypmtoms dont escalalate to that level again.
    Again.. hope you are well and over your fear....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information