Thread: chest congestion when lying down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

chest congestion when lying down

For the past few weeks, everytime I lie down on my back, I get this weird gurgly sound when I take a deep breath in. Almost like congestion, but I dont think Im actually congested.
    Im worrying that maybe it is fluid in my lungs...going to cause distress or me to stop breathing. It seems to be at its worse when I first wake up (lying down for a long period of time) for the first couple breaths, then subsides.
    Anyone else ever experience this? I have been fighting a cold on and off for a few weeks.

Re: chest congestion when lying down

I think it definitely is related to your cold. Catarrh sometimes takes a while to shift. I've had this feeling before. You could try inhaling steam or ask the pharmacy for something. I'm sure it'll disappear soon. Any other symptoms then I'd go to the gp incase you need an antibiotic.
    Myra

Whenever I have a cold it always goes down my throat and to top of my trachea and in the morning I will get a gurgling sound when I breathe out but not when I breathe in - the gunk is stuck at the bottom of your throat. Usually after a week or so it goes away. I find that coughing to try and move the gunk makes the gurgle worse! The gurgle goes away when i get up. If you find that you can't breathe when you lay down then do go to the Dr as this means its affedting your lungs but if you can breathe fine when laying down and run up the stairs okay maybe wait and see if it goes itself.

It's definitely your cold - there's an awful lot of snot and gunk in there at the moment. If it's bothersome, try inhaling steam before you go to sleep in the evening.

It's not fluid on your lungs, promise. Your symptoms would be much, much more severe.

I am on antibiotics for an ear infection. I also take clonazepam everyday and I read a side effect could be fluid in the lungs. I'm worried that is what's causing this. It is only when I take a VERY deep breath IN, not out. Like a rattling deep down.

Hiya,
    Did you ever find out what this was? Or did it go away? I only ask because I've had exactly the same thing for a year, and had a chest x-ray yesterday for that exact reason.
    Mine started lower left lung, only after I've been lying down, right at the end of a deep breath in and goes away after a couple of deep breaths. Then after a few months it started to spread, so if i lay on my back, it would be in the back of my lungs at the bottom, if I lay on my right side, it would be on the right side of my lung. Always goes after a few deep breaths.
    Anyhow, i made the grave mistake of visiting dr google, scared myself silly and took myself off to my doc in a panic. He said I couldn't have a chest x-ray at the time as I was pregnant, hence me only having it yesterday. He couldn't hear the rattling, but then he wouldn't because it's only after I've been lying down a while and breathing shallow. He also had me do a spirometry test which was normal.
    I've also lost loads of weight in the last few weeks. I know I've had a baby 2mth ago so bound to lose weight but people are commenting how skinny I look, and after my other baby I really struggled to lose the weight. Not only that, I've actually been trying to put weight on by eating rubbish but just seem to lose more. So that makes me think I've got the big C.
    Won't get x-ray results for a week, but I swear the bloke who did the x-ray looked horrified when he saw my x-ray image, almost like he couldn't look me in the eye because he saw a huge tumour or lots of scarring.
    I've had HA since I was 9, it has been such a huge part of my life for 20 years but this is the first time my symptoms cannot really be explained away by being psychosomatic/anxiety (apart from the countless breast lumps I've had) so this has to be real.
    Sorry, I've hijacked your thread then rambled on about myself. I hope your symptoms went and that you're ok now.
    x

Hello,

I'm not sure that I am using this forum's e mail correctly. I sent you a private message regarding the gurgling and wondered if you have received it. I too am having what you described and I was wondering if yours happened daily or if it had stopped. Did it happen daily?

Thank you,

Maddie136

Did u 2 ladies find out what was wrong? After the xrays especially? I hope I'm not too late for a response. I do suffer with anxiety, but am fine when lying down and then the congested feeling starts, but I canyt cough anything out, it goes away... And then comes back when I'm lying down again

Thread Information