Thread: Echo

Echo

Can anyone tell me exactly what happens when you have an echo test and how long it takes, after forcing my doctor to refer me to the cardiologist, I just got an appointment for the end of Feb and I feel like I'll spend the next month living in fear of it and the results of course.

Birdi

If it's the same as an ECG, it measures the rhythm of your heart. It's a quick procedure where they put sticky patches on a number of parts of your body, chest, arms, legs, feet. It only takes about 5 minutes and is completely painless and stress free. I had one done last summer and it was fine - they gave me the results straight away.

Good luck and in my experience it's nothing to worry about.

Jo

Hi there,

An Echo (echocardiogram) is not an ECg although they usually do an ECG aswell at the same time. An echo is where they look at the heart using ultrasound.. Then some gel will be placed on your chest and they will do the ultrasound by moving a transducer over your chest. They may ask you to move into different positions occasionally. All this is totally pain free. I think they can take up to 20 mins to do. It really is nothing to worry abut and I hope that helps.

Good luck,

LJ

Hi i had one two weeks ago its just the same as an ultrasound scan you have when your pregnant except on your heart. Its totally painless takes about 20 mins and shows all your valves opening and closing and the size of your heart etc its a good thourough examination of your heart dont worry carol

Thanks for clarifying that LJ. It's good to learn something new every day!

Love Jo

Thanks guys,

Thats put my mind a bit more at rest than it was.

Birdi
    xxx

Thread Information