Page 498 of 507 FirstFirst ... 398448488496497498499500 ... LastLast
Results 4,971 to 4,980 of 5061

Thread: from citalopram to venlafaxine, good stories please!!!

Re: from citalopram to venlafaxine, good stories please!!!

Just taken this off Medscape.com (part of WebMD) which explains that it is supposed to do this:

Venlafaxine Hydrochloride (Efexor XL)

Originally, venlafaxine was brought to the market as a sustained-release formulation, Efexor XL by Wyeth, now a subsidiary company of Pfizer. Efexor XL uses a diffusion mechanism. The active drug is on film-coated spheroids, which are packed into capsules. On ingestion, the outer cover of the capsule completely dissolves in the gastric fluids releasing the spheroids. The spheroids are made of inert insoluble ball-like figures on which the active drug is applied. The spheroids are additionally covered with a porous insoluble polymer (ethylcellulose) that acts as a semipermeable membrane through which the drug diffuses once in contact with GI fluids (Data on file 59, Pfizer). Spheroids may be visible in the stool after the medication has been used.

Prescribing information on Efexor XL states: 'Venlafaxine prolonged-release capsules contain spheroids, which release the active substance slowly into the digestive tract. The insoluble portion of these spheroids is eliminated and may be seen in faeces' [Pfizer, 2011a].

The patient information leaflet states the following under the side effect section:

Do not be concerned if you see small white balls or granules in your stool after taking this medicine … as they travel through your stomach and intestines, venlafaxine is slowly released. The spheroid 'shell' does not dissolve and is passed out in your stools. So even though you may see spheroids in your stools, your dose of medicine has been absorbed [Pfizer, 2011b].
    Several brands of venlafaxine extended-release formulations made with different technologies are available today. Wyeth also produced extended-release tablets of desvenlafaxine, an active metabolite of venlafaxine under the brand name Pristiq available in the USA and Canada. The patient information leaflet states the following under the heading 'How should I take Pristiq®?': 'When you take Pristiq®, you may see something in your stool that looks like a tablet. This is the empty shell from the tablet after the medicine has been absorbed by your body' [Pfizer, 2011c]. Mrs Y was taking Venlalic, a generic product that uses an osmotic release mechanism; hence it is expected to have an intact empty shell left behind.

Your a star Terry you always explain things so well, hopefully Lou's mind can be put at rest now XX

Great info terry, thanks for that, nicola i did not know they are now doing 37.5mg in capsules, might give it another go in the summer, but ask for the capsules, i always seem to do better on them. hope you are well hun xx

Hi guys. Thanks for the info. I actually already feel better. It's amazing what our mindset can do to us. I didn't even know you could get capsules. I've only ever had the white tablets. All the doggies are doing fine thanks pink. They keep me busy which is good. Xxxxx

So pleased your feeling Lou Yep Pink think they've just started doing them there branded venlablue so just make sure your pharmacy has them in stock before you take your script in as mine had to order them in, only took a day tho! I get on much better with capsules too for some reason, i think it's something to do with the time release mechanism of them? XX

Quote Originally Posted by nicola1980 View Post
    there branded venlablue
    Is it just me that thinks this sounds like some sort of pregnancy testing kit?

Hahaha Terry now you mention it it does actually lol XX

Yes it does! Unfortunate choice of "blue" though in view of what the drug is meant to help with...

Hi Guys, hope some of you are still around. and doing well.
    Just want to post an update, i have reduced my meds to 37.5mg, it wasmy third attempt, but i have manage 4 weeks with little or no side effects.

Now for the weight, with the meds and the stopping smoking, i have expanded my gp has been fantastic, and referred me to a group for healthy living, i got a gym membership for 3 months just £5 instead of £75, and i have my induction on tues, also an 8 week one to one course on health and diet, can't imagine even contemplating this a couple of years ago.

I hope you are all doing well, all my facebook friends seem to be doing well, we have all been on a very difficult/long journey, and are strong to have come out the other end.

to you all xxx

Hi Pink, they must all be on holiday, all good though. And don't be offended if no-one responds it just means they're better

Page 498 of 507 FirstFirst ... 398448488496497498499500 ... LastLast

Thread Information