Thread: restless legs on citalopram

restless legs on citalopram

Hey all,

So I started citalopram 10mg a week ago and in the last 4 days ive been suffering from restless legs and generally very very heightened anxiety.

It's come to the point where I'm sat at work and I'm constantly moving my legs because they refuse to stay still. I have to take something at night to sleep as this doesnt stop at all. I don't know what to do.

My GP is quite ignorant with regards to my side effects so I'm not sure whether I should request a change of meds or dosage increase....

Any ideas/experiences?

Re: restless legs on citalopram

Hello,

It's a side effect of starting on the meds. I had it for a while. Actaully I think i had all the side effects listed !!. It will stop in the coming weeks .

lasted only about the first week for me. I started out at 20mg.

The settling in period on citalopram can be quite rough but you can make it through it. Heightened anxiety for me, especially in the mornings was something I noticed.

Try and keep yourself occupied and it will pass. I found taking some exercise like going for a run really helped.

Thanks so much for the response, good to know it's not an adverse reaction.

I managed to go for a half hour run today, simultaneously trying to give up smoking.

My doctor agreed to some beta blockers for the day and some hydroxizine for sleep during the night. I didn't want to get on benzos. I hope that it'll improve and I'm determined to keep going with it...

one of many side effects for me, infact one that i still get now, after 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by EdnaLegume View Post
    lasted only about the first week for me. I started out at 20mg.
    I'm on week 7 @ 40mg

I dont have constant leg shaking but I do get it, along with slightly trembling hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_67 View Post

I dont have constant leg shaking but I do get it, along with slightly trembling hands.
    i get a trembling body too often... sometimes my skin feels like prickly heat too... my restless legs get annoying sometimes, like relaxing on the sofa or in bed watchign a film with my husband, or i have a cat or dog sitting on my knee... i feel my legs wanting to move so i fight and fight to the point they literalyl catapult the cat out my knee LOL!! sometimes the movemetn transfers to my arms and shoulders too, i just fidget aaaaaaall the time, i cant stay still, i get adjitated easily because of it ...

i tap my leg constantly under my desk at work... tiems i hear my colleagues "who the hell is taping?".. i just giggle usually LOL!!

Thread Information