Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving up smoking!

Giving up smoking!

I'm very tempted to try to give up smoking. Although i've cut down alot these past couple of panicky weeks, i'm thinking maybe i should kick the habit altogether. Not only does smoking seem to make me feel worse, but i'm thinking of the money i'd save, not to mention the benefits to my health!

I've just bought Allen Carr's 'Easy Way to Stop Smoking' book which i've heard good things about.

Has anyone else managed to give up smoking successfully? If so, how? Has anyone tried Allen Carr's book? Do you find smoking helps or hinders your panics?

Dawn [8D]

Hiya Dawn

I smoke too and am trying to cut down at the moment. I smoke about 10 - 15 a day so i guess its not as bad as 60 a day but still....

I gave up for 6 weeks in the summer just by not fancying smoking but stupidly picked up a ciggie one day and started again.

Smoking makes me feel both better and worse with regards panic. The first one of the day makes me panic but the more i smoke the more relaxed i feel (i know its the breathing you do when you smoke as opposed to the ciggie itself).

Let us know how the book goes with you!!!

love Sarah
    xx

I found the panic attacks themselves were enough to stop me smoking, and when I was at the peak of my Panic Monster phase, I stopped all together.

I must be feeling better, as I have started smoking again. [:I]

The government are doing their best to get us all to quit, by showing us lots of hard hitting scary adverts. I have to admit, all they do is scare me into thinking horrible scary thoughts, and so I have a ciggie to calm me down. Defeats the point really.

Good luck with giving up !

Love and Light
    Liz xxx

hi liz,

allen carrs book,is a best seller...but it will only work,if you want it to...whether you suffer from anxiety,alcohol,drug addiction...nothing will work for you,unless you want it to.

research,has shown,that patches work best,followed by nicotine chewing gum...they even have decent flavours out now,apparantly, the fruit flavour is outselling the rest...but its down to you!..if you want to quit,you can...i hope you choose to quit,but its your decision...please try..best wishes..bryan.

That latest anti-smoking ad is really gross isn't it?

Nicola

Yeah Nic

Thats the main thing putting me off at the moment....yuk..lol

Sarah
    xx

Hiya Guys,

I am also a smoker and thinking about quitting (AGAIN!!)

the last time i stopped was when my 'bad' anxiety symptoms started. i stopped for 10 weeks using the patrches and have stopped for 6 months before with them. Last time however was not the right time for me to stop, I have heard Allan Carr's book is really good

Love
    lucky

Has anyone ever heard anything on the relationship between smoking and panic attacks?Because I'm torn, I also do that nasty thing, but wonder if cigarettes soothe panic attacks or just trick you into believing that.
    Please comment.

Izzy

I think they just trick you into believing that Izzy. Smoking does have a soothing effect on part of your brain which tricks you into believing that it is relaxing, the reality is that it is a strong stimulant. If you don't have a ciggarette for a while and you spend some time relaxing and getting into a deeply relaxed state you can have a ciggarette afterwards and as soon as you do you can feel the adrenalin pumping around your body.

I'm sure I've said this before, but Alan Carrs book IS good for anybody who wants to give up, highly recommended.

Good luck everybody.

mico

I've just bought Alan Carrs book - £6 something on Amazon.

It arrived Wednesday.

Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of a bad time of it at the minute, and can't be bothered to sit down and read it. Not really feeling very receptive.

I'm planning on taking it to the gym with me on Sunday, which should while away the 3/4 hr I do on the cross trainer/bike/tread mill quite nicely.

I have read the introduction, and although the bloke is American (sorry Diane!!) he doesn't seem to come over too full on if you know what I mean. Also, I'm not really into self help books, but this is written quite well - I just feel really stupid if the book gets you to stand on your head in the corner of your kitchen for five minutes every morning repeating, "I can do it, I can do it".

I think that me and the book may get on ..... watch this space.

p.s. I can quite happily not smoke when I have got some fags, but does anybody get panicky about running out. Even if you know that you are not going to be able to smoke for the next couple of hours?

Also Alan Carr claims that his book can help you give up EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO! (Thats me sorted then) And you don't need Nicotine patches, or plastic biro tubes to suck in the car)

Maybe we should challenge each other, and see if we can give up together?

Charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information