Thread: Tons of symptoms. Convinced I'm dying

Tons of symptoms. Convinced I'm dying

Hello everyone. This is my first post on no more panic and what a way to start it off. I've been a wreck lately about my health and I was hoping to get a little rationality from all of you. I'll go ahead and get into the worrying symptoms. I feel nauseous most of the time, especially when I don't eat. This has been going on for years but it's been worse recently. The nausea is mainly on my right side and kind of goes up into my back/chest if that makes sense. It is accompanied by a feeling of some type of liquid coming up. I also have this sensation of gas in my chest on that same side that can be alleviated by changing my posture in order to burp, but it doesn't take long for the feeling to come back. Also, right under my ribs in the right side my stomach will sometimes make a clicking noise if I contract them. My sternum also sometimes cracks when I stretch my shoulders back. It's not very painful but it is audible. I also feel a little short of breath on that side. When I went to a doctor about a year ago they said it did sound tight in my chest on that side. Something I find odd is that when I apply pressure to a spot on my chest that is sort of sensitive, I also feel something on my back, between my shoulder blades, but still on the right side. That liquid feeling I talked about earlier comes up to about this spot usually. I've only have reflux reach my throat once or twice so far. The most worrying symptoms have been my fatigue and weight loss. I feel a bit tired most of the time, and since April of this year I've lost about 15 pounds. I admit that the nausea makes it difficult to eat even though it gets worse if I don't, which could've caused this, but of course my mind doesn't buy it. I've also had an ultrasound on some enlarged lymph nodes in my groin last month that came back negative. I should also add that I've suffered from health anxiety for about 3 years now. I just turned 21 a few weeks ago.

Re: Tons of symptoms. Convinced I'm dying

Hi there! I'm sorry you're feeling so anxious.

What did the doc tell you a year ago?
    Are you eating properly?
    Have you recently made an unsettling change in your life that has resulted in an increase in anxiety?

Dave

BTW I can't remember exactly but occasionally when I pressed my ribs I would get an equally sharp pain somewhere else, my upper arm or shoulder I think it was. And again I can't remember exactly but I have another one which is something like a sharp pain in my knee also causes a similar one in my buttock.

They said it sounded tight in my chest and gave me prednisone but I didn't take it properly like I should have. I also went to the doctor a few weeks ago for the stomach issues and she also listened to my breathing as well. She didn't really comment on it except for that she felt it was related to my stomach issues. Because of that, she put me on a PPI that I've been taking for about a week and it hasn't really done much yet.

As far as eating properly I'd probably say no. Depending on my anxiety/nausea I might get as many as 2500 calories or as few as 1000. According to an app I have I need to be getting 2500 daily just to maintain my weight. I also work out most days of the week so my metabolism is faster than normal which might be adding to the problem.

There is actually one particular incident that started my health anxiety, my ear started ringing and from there I was convinced I had a brain tumor. The anxiety has waxed and waned but never truly subsided. I've had an MRI so I'm not worried about that anymore but my stomach has never really gotten back to normal since then. Also, about a year ago I started having issues with my back from lifting as well as what I do at work. I'm planning on visiting a chiropractor very soon to sort that out. Something else that may have been adding to my back problems is the fact that my left leg is nearly an inch shorter than my right from a break a long time ago. I have a shoe insert to compensate but it doesn't totally fix the problem. I'm wondering if possibly my posture and anxiety are the only culprits for my problems? Of course that makes sense but my anxiety doesn't do well with logic.

Hi,
    Well clearly the weight loss is due to your calorie intake and I'm no expert but maybe the fatigue could be too. As for your chest - doctors have examined you twice, so I would be happy with that.

What I meant about unsettling changes to your life is I can remember getting tremendous health anxiety when I started secondary school (at age 11) and again when I started university so I wondered if you had any personal changes unrelated to health that were really behind your recent anxiety.

Possibly. I have been stressing about grades pretty much the whole semester. This is my first semester back in university(took some time off) so that may have something to do with it.

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

Come to think of it my first experience with HA coincided with a stressful time as well

I'm convinced my HA is caused by stress, loneliness and insecurity and your list of symptoms reminds me of one of my lists once - the doctor said 'ooh you do have a lot of symptoms' with a smile on her face.

It's a real shame to be stressed at university because it's such a great opportunity to make friends and enjoy yourself - I hope you can relax!

Thread Information