Thread: Intrusive thought that won't go away.

Question Intrusive thought that won't go away.

I am experiencing on a daily basis one thought that is most distressing. The thought is of me hurting someone. I first had it when I was diagnosed with post-natal depression and it seems to rear its ugly head periodically. Is there anyone else out there who has had a thought that they just can't seem to shift? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Can you help?

Re: Intrusive thought that won't go away.

Hi Nicky,

I've just made a post today to Sunshine02 about intrusive thoughts which I hope you might get some comfort from, along with the other replies on there. You are not alone with this symptom and you can get through it. Yes there is light at the end of the tunnell!
    Myra

Thanks Myra, you are a breath of fresh air to the problem I have however how do I go about treating this symptom? I am having pschotherapy but it is slow and the thought is played out in my head as to what I could do and then what would happen next - both of which are horendous.

Hi Nicky,

I think i do suffer occasionally from uninvited, intrusive thoughts. They are very uncomfortable and make you worry that you'll actually do the thought. Fortunately, i don't think that will happen, so try not to let them worry you. Somebody said the following, which helps me greatly: "You are NOT your thoughts or your feelings, You are You". It helps me distance myself from whatever terrifying mood my tablets have put me in, or whatever crazy thoughts are running through my head at a precise moment. I am NOT those thoughts or those feelings, I am me.

The thoughts depend on your dislike of them to keep them coming! Its as though they get stuck in a groove, going over in your head again and again. When the thoughts used to come to me I started saying to myself "vivid imagination.com!" each time and carried on with what I was doing. This sort of relaxed me each time. Sounds corny I know!! - but it worked. Try not to shrink from them, accept them and carry on with what you were doing. Say something reassuring to yourself each time they happen and through time they will mean less and less and this is when they start to disappear. Don't give them the importance they seek. Go with them and they'll not matter any more and it's the not mattering that is recovery.
    Myra x

What frightens me more than anything is that they might come true. I have played them through in my head and it frightens me. I have never hurt anyone or anything in my whole life but this one thought is so harrowing. I am really struggling.

Thread Information