Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Tips for dealing with Anxiety and Panic

Thumbs up Re: Tips for dealing with Anxiety and Panic Don't Be Afraid. . .

Really helpful, thank you

I think the most important part for me during a panic attack is the telling myself it will be OK. The NOT being scared bit is a hurdle. I have found lots of what I call 'tricks' to help me out, the best ones are distraction methods. I have to find 5 things I can hear, 4 things I can see, 3 things I can touch, 2 things I can smell, 1 thing I can taste etc. I find this really helpful.

Putting on my earphones and going for a brisk walk helps but this took a long time as the anxiety caused me to isolate and become quite agoraphobic.

The dropping your shoulders thing is so true! I would get home from town or a meeting and my whole neck and shoulders would be burning because I'd been so tense, it's something that I have to conciously say to myself- relax your shoulders!

I phone the no panic helpline when there is no one else to talk to and have even called samaritans when it's been 2/3 o clock I the morning and I must sat they have been so supportive. I think when you're having a panic attack the thing you need most is REASSURANCE that everything really is GOING TO BE OK.

Thank you for sharing your tips. I don't feel I can say I'm in recovery right now but I can say that anxiety does Not rule my life anymore...Things can only get better.

To all....Have HOPE

Re: Tips for dealing with Anxiety and Panic

Great article thank you for posting and sharing. My anxiety is a heaviness in the chest area. I find the deep belly breathing helps. I need to get into the habit as you say to do this everyday whether I feel anxious or not. Then it will become natural.

Hi
    I'm new to this website.
    I am finding that my anxiety comes in waves. I can be ok one minute and then i'll realise I've not been anxious and I'll get an over whelming fear and panic and my whole body goes warm, burning sensation and nervy stomach and legs! hate it!!
    sarah

For me it is important not to let panic take over. I don't suffer from panic attacks (although I did ages ago), but I am anxious quite a lot. I can cope with it. What I find helps is realizing what is going on, that it's nothing physical. For me a big thing was when I actually realized I had somatic symptom disorder. So whatever symptom comes along now I know what it is and try and ignore it...and it usually goes away in 2-3 weeks. My anxieties are mostly related to health. Also it helps to have something to do, especially something mentally engaging.
    Another thing is to recognize that sometimes things point out to some source of worry in our life that we are not consciously facing and experiencing emotionally, so it's good to explore that as well. Focusing on physical symptoms (health anxiety) is often a defense, a distraction from worries and unpleasant and repressed feelings.
    Last edited by maya77; 13-08-16 at 09:34.

Does anyone else have eye symptoms my vision has become cloudy like im in a haze. I have had eye tests witch were normal its scary to have no explanation

I have just read this now makes sense and screen saved it many thanks

Good morning all

I'm just have to a little bit of advice and guidance to help my girlfriend out. This morning we were in the gym training together and out of nowhere she asked are you embarrassed by me or ashamed to be seen with me.

She suffers from anxiety and I am always trying to reassure her and make her feel like a queen. She is beautiful and I always tell her that she is. I always reassure her that I will not find anyone else or ever leave her.

This has been going on for a while and I just need some extra help.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Shane

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

Great post. I'm very happy anxiety can be cured. I have been dealing with it since I was a teenager but never tried to "cure" it, I just lived with it. Then I had an episode starting last December when I couldn't ignore it anymore. I got very intrusive thoughts and very severe panic attacks after I was cured of tapeworms and asthma/aspirating after 10 years. Slowly but surely I'm getting better and look forward to one day as well being able to say I'm anxiety free.

I have had anxiety for the past 10 years. I get frequent episodes of worry which last about a couple of weeks each. Right now, I am also battling with intrusive thoughts which I know are based on my own false assumptions but I just can't get rid of them. Here's what's happening to me. At first I had a particular positive opinion about something and everyone around me had it too. Then I met someone who asked a question that made me asume the total opposite of what I have been thinking all along and this has caused me great anxiety and made me think that all people are of the opposite opinion as me. The funny thing is the person did not state an opinion but only asked a question and this has driven me to assume something which is causing me so much distress. Everyone I ask does not think that is the case but I am still hung up on this assumption that the rest of the wotld is thinking the opposite. I have tried convincing myself so many times but it is not working. Can someone help me please

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread Information