Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Job Terror

Re: New Job Terror

Well done, Lola Lee. Sounds very different. Does the anxiety knock you sideways or is it normative, existential anxiety?

One day I'm really excited about it, the next I'm in a state. It's tough living with this. The problem is that even with changed hours, I'd probably have the same anxiety. It's about trudging through it all.

I just hope I'm following the right path

This will sound insane. I'm an only child and super close to my Mum. I see a lot of her and she's 'needy' in a wonderful sense. She likes to see me as often as she can. However, this isn't without its pressures (as you can well imagine) and I think an element is concern that she won't know what to do with herself. I visualise these extreme situations where I imagine her winding down and starting to decline. It's crazy, I know, and I can't live that way. She wants me to do this as she's my number one fan, very, very supportive.

Doesn't stop those horrid worries though!

Re: New Job Terror

Funnily enough I've just posted something very similar, about almost getting a full-time job after years of study - I didn't get it, but I was *petrified* that I might, and that I wouldn't cope. Even though for literally years, it's been my dream job. My feelings were very confusing to me and I could see myself in the same place you're in, worrying about having committed and then not being able to get out.

I have figured out a few things:

1. Anxiety lies to us about our capabilities and what is good for us
    2. In situations like these, things that look like a good idea when we're feeling confident mostly ARE a good idea
    3. I fear feeling trapped in a situation I can't get out of; as soon as someone says, chill out, you CAN leave if you hate it, I calm right down

In practice, what is the worst that can happen? You don't like it; you have a few uncomfortable moments and then you leave in short order. That would be OK, and manageable!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information