Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Feel Crap After Increasing Citalopram

Help! Feel Crap After Increasing Citalopram

Hi

I have increased my 5mg of citalopram back to 10mg again after being on 5mg for about 8 weeks. I have been taking this for 6 days now.

I just want to know is it normal to feel like u are taking them again for the first time. I feel bit dizzy, light headed, sick and pains in head dry mouth and really tired.

I thought that being that they are in your system already there wouldnt be much difference.

im starting to panic again that this is not normal and there is something wrong with me.

thanks

mandie x

Re: Help! Feel Crap After Increasing Citalopram

Hi mandie!
    Everything you feel is normal and it shouldet last to long,just stick with it.you are doing the write thing increaseing slowly as i found this best.
    Good luckxx

Thanks for your quick reply. Always makes me feel better when someone tells me its normal.

love mandie x

Hi mandie,everything you are feeling is normal.same thing happened to me to.It does settle down.

Hi

Any change in dosage either up or down will cause you to have the side effects which you get when starting a med. You get the same stuff when withdrawing as well.

Usual approximate 3 week period for effects to wear off - or even sooner - everyone's different.

Take care
    Yvonne

Unhappy Re: Help! Feel Crap After Increasing Citalopram

Hi Mandie

I went back to the doctors today and was told to increase from 10 to 20mg of Cipramil. I was extremely reluctant, but I have taken the first one tonight.
    I had been taking 5mg for months which did nothing, then I went up to 10mg, which, apart from side effects did very little.
    The problem is I dont know whether the way I feel is a result of having taken the thing in the first place, or a return of the depression. I only know that the anxiety is often unbearable.
    I have also been taking a low dose of Diazepam, probably for too long as its addictive, and I am also trying to wean myself off that.
    I am a bit of a mess at the moment, but will put my trust in the doctor and stick to the 20mg if I can.

Thanks everybody for your replies. it really helps coming on here.

Hampshirebear - how are u feelin today?

mandie x

Hi Mandie

I am feeling terrible so far on the 20mg, but I suppose this is to be expected. I can only go for it now and hope that it works. Physically I can hardly move, and I have intense anxiety. Hope you are now ok.

Matt

Hey guys, you will feel better. I was on Citalopram at one time, went all the way up to 40mg.

I changed for something else eventually as it wasn't helping me personally, don't let that put you off though, each person is individual. It is a very good and safe antidepressant, the side effects when starting/increasing are much worse for some of the others.

Each and every time my dose was increased I went through exactly the same thing, I know how bad it can feel. You will feel much better soon, try to distract yourself as much as possible and you will get through it.

Let us know how you go.

Jim

I also increased from 5mg to 10mg a week ago... I was only on 5mg for about two weeks before increasing, but like you I'm also feeling very tired all the time, a little dizzy and spacey. Unfortunately the anxiety is still there - I can't figure out if it's just a side-effect or it's still the real thing! (Probably the latter!). I guess I'll go up to 15mg in about 2 weeks again and see how that goes. It's a slow process, but I know that it will eventually work.

It's strange that doctors differ in how they prescribe Citalopram - the first doctor I went to said I should take it gradually, like I'm doing now, but when I saw another doctor about the side-effects I was getting, she said I should have just taken 20mg from day one, with valium 4 times a day, until I was used to it!! I didn't think much of that option, I preferred the gradual way!

Nieve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information