Thread: Essential Tremor

Essential Tremor

Hi,

I posted on this forum quite a while back (about panic attacks) but this time, I'm looking for info about a symptom known as 'essential tremor'. It's where the hands shake uncontrollably (can also effect legs, head for some people).

Someone I know (they are 17 and have had it for quite a few years) has has recentky been diagnosed with it and I am trying to work out how much it's connected to panic/anxiety.

I've read that it can be hereditary for some, that it can be linked to stress and that for older people it's linked to parkinson's disease.

However, there doesn't seem to be much concise information out there so my questions are...

Has anyone on this forum developed it as part of their anxiety?

Has anyone got hand tremors and realised it's linked with previous anxiety?

Does anyone know if it's down to extreme panic, anxiety over a long period of time?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Essential Tremor

Hi Wavey

Yes, I had that condition 12 years ago. Mine started after a prolomged period of stress and it was a head tremor which started very slowly and got worse. My GP did various tests and the tremor was caused through extreme tension in neck and shoulders trapping nerves. It lasted 8 months.. I saw an NLP counsellor and the tremor was gone within 7 days !

Thanks for the reply. Just wondered what NLP is and what it entails?

Hi Wavy, this condition was shown last week on the 'Embarrassing Bodies' programme channel 4 in the part of the programme that discusses illness and conditions that are incurable, but can be managed. It featured a young guy his tremors were all of his body not just his head. He had to have surgery on his brain to have 2 pacemakers connected, then placed under the skin just below his shoulders either side of his chest, these are designed to control the tremors. Embarrassing bodies has a link on the Channel 4 website maybe worth a look

Hi Wavey

NLP is Neuro Linguistic programming.
    Its about our thinking and behaviour, a psychological approach which helps with various areas of our lives including anxiety related problems.
    It certainly did the trick for me .I found an NLP counsellor in my area and it didnt cost much either.

Thread Information