Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Down the Colon Cancer rabbit hole again. Do you guys have these same thoughts?

Re: Down the Colon Cancer rabbit hole again. Do you guys have these same thoughts?

I was told by a hospital dietician not to take any kind of prebiotic. I think prebiotics are things like inulin and most foods containing inulin are high fodmap and a no-no for ibs sufferers.
    Samina and Jenni have you both tried the low fodmap diet? It does help, although it’s tough going. I’ve had to go back to eating gluten as I want to be retested for coeliac, I was tested last year but think I may have cut gluten out at that time and have since learnt that can give a false negative!

Re: Down the Colon Cancer rabbit hole again. Do you guys have these same thoughts?

I think once I get diagnosed they will recommend that diet. Hopefully when my insides go back to normal, I can resume my normal diet x

There's a thought for us all.

Can't wait for my insides to go back to normal

So today no BMs at all and no gurgling tummy. I had plain rice for dinner last night and a banana. Day 2 of my 10 day probiotic - get those gut bacteria back to normal.

Day 2 of not checking Dr Google (I nearly did a few times but have resisted). Feeling less anxious but dark thoughts are at the back of my mind...

Hope everyone is well
    Sxx

Samina, how are you getting in with those probiotics?

Hello Fruit

I just re read your last message and realized I hadn't answered your question about the Fodmap diet. So I haven't tried it, I've read about it though... I think I might have to.

So update... I actually travelled to the UK on Thursday and (as usual) traveling messed me up a bit (didn't go until Sunday!) but it seemed a lot less loose - this also makes sense because when I stay with my parents I eat a lot less fibre than I do at home, also more carbs and less fruit, so it all seems to reflect these changes. No diarrhea since last Tuesday...

I'm feeling better mentally because I have been occupied spending time with my family. Although whilst I was there I had a couple of TRIGGER events.

In fact, if anyone can relate, I'd be very grateful for feedback.

SO the day I arrived, I saw an envelope addressed to Bowel Cancer Screening Unit. I asked and parents explained they had to do the occult stool test. They started explaining it to me and obviously I knew exactly what it is, probably more than them. That set my brain off a bit, like it was a "sign" or something...

Then yesterday a good friend of mine's partner has to have a colonoscopy because they did the occult test and it came back positive. THey're all worrying poor things. Again, trigger for me and "it's a sign" thinking...

I haven't looked too intently at my BMs at my parents as the toilet is very dark so it's hard to see...

How is everybody else?

xx

Samina I still worry about Bowel cancer. Thought I was over that worry but it has come back again. Especially when I think that a lot of my symptoms don't really match an IBD but a high FC can also mean cancer so it has brought that fear back. On the other side I was in a coffee shop with my sister the other dsy and I overheard a woman talking about crohns which like you I took as a sign :( .

You are not alone with your worries but please try not to worry about bowel cancer. (Easier said then done I know).
    It's good that the diarrhoea stopped when you were away, shows stress is playing a big part and possibly food as well. A food diary is a good idea, will help you work out your trigger foods. X

Thanks Jenni and sorry you're worrying about BC again :(

I'm still up and down, had loose stools for a couple of days, nothing for 2 days then a normal one today. Haven't seen any blood for just over a week. I think if it was something bad it would be getting worse and not coming and going right?

I'm still taking the probiotics... not sure what's going on. Today I feel like I'm getting the flu or something, my joints are a bit achey and my glands are up...

Hope everyone else is ok
    Sxx

Re: Blood in stool - mistakenly went on colon cancer forum - health anxiety sky high

So I'm back - it's been a while since I posted, mostly because of good work with my psychologist but also because my symptoms have been nearly non existant since February.

Since the end of May though, I have noticed the blood creeping back... as soon as I see it I have been freaking out, then start treating it (suppositories / creams and Daflon) and as they start to go away (usually a couple of days), I stop treating them, then a few days pass and they come back and the circle continues.

This morning I got a fright as when I wiped, there was a blob of red mucus on the tp... I have been trying to stay calm since then but I'm freaking now.

I have been under a lot of stress recently and I notice that when I'm anxious (most of the time) I tend to flex my sphincter muscle (like you would grit your teeth). I am aware of it and try to relax but sometimes it's impossible.

I saw the doctor about this last year when it all started (following the birth of my baby) and I also went to a proctologist who examined me (just digitally) and confirmed internal and external grade III piles. I did a month of prescribed cream and tablets and it all cleared up, and had a couple of flare ups after but treated them and they cleared up.

Rationally I am telling myself it's this again but I think my HA gives me a kind of all or nothing scenario i.e. if there's nothing wrong with you, why is this happening??

As usual I'm looking for reassurance, similar stories.

Thanks for your time, love this forum.
    Sxxx

Quote Originally Posted by samina77 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while - partly because I've kept the HA at bay - working lots with my psychologist and some self-help books, but also because symptoms have been pretty quiet.

Well, last couple of weeks I have been a bit stressed, had tonsillitis and my little son has just started nursery. A couple of times in the past 2 weeks I have seen blood in my stool. I have a history of piles and have even been to a proctologist who said they were grade 3 and that I should have the op. I don't want to and have been treating them with diet, lots of water, creams and daflon 5000.

So because the blood thing has been quite frequent recently (approx 3 times in the last 2 weeks - not a lot, a small fleck mixed in - once just pinkish when wiping - today pink mucousy residue when wiping, then looked afterwards (so sorry for the TMI) and I saw there was a streak on the side of the stool...

...today I have been googling, I started just on here because usually that keeps the HA at bay but for some reason today I started looking at other stuff (which I haven't done for months) started going looking for symptoms of colitis and ended up looking at colon cancer. Also accidentally found a colon cancer forum where some poor soul had written a post - as we do here - but asking actual colon C sufferers about their symptoms (similar to mine and many other people on here). Well.... they all said that their cases were exceptions to the rule. All those things that we usually reassure ourselves with (ie- fresh pink red blood is ok, your age being young means it's ok etc.) they were all saying that this wasn't the case. I LITERALLY FREAKED OUT. I wish I had never seen that website, I wish I could just erase it from my head because now my HA is sky high. I feel horrible. I've been doing so well with the HA I feel like I have just gone 10,000 steps back.

I don't know what to do, can anyone relate, words of advice?

Sorry and thank you
    xox

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information