Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aching arms and legs

Re: Aching arms and legs

hi,

over about twenty years i have seen a nimber of doctors who have told me i was suffering from stress, that there was nothing physically wrong with me etc etc.

then i saw another doctor who actually listened to me and didn't write of as a hypochondriac and say it was 'stress', and my constant tiredness and shortness of breath have metamorphasized into auto-immune thyroid disease and angina...
    well, well, well!

my angina pain presents in my left jaw which is more usual in women than pain the the arm and chest. it is like toothache which i had always assumed it to be. women can also get angina pain in the back & shoulder.

i also get aching legs for which there seems to be no treatment available from the doctor since the banning of co-proxamol.

in desperation, i tried rubbing cuprofen gel onto the backs of my knees and have found this helps quite a lot. this may help some of you.

best wishes to everyone.

Whether you call it anxiety or stress, keeping our muscles in a tense state of contraction can lead to pain. In my case, they diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I started doing progressive muscle relaxation exercises which makes you so aware of how tense we are keeping our muscles. As you're reading this, notice if your shoulders are not completely relaxed, like a rag doll. I bet they're a bit tense. When you do these exercises, you don't even have to consciously be aware...after a while, it becomes a habit.

I worked with one of the best rheumatologists, even did research for him going as far back as the 1700s. People with fibromyalgia (they called it rheumatism and other things back then) have a definite personality. Good people, sensitive people that just have a hard time in this world. Now while you may not have full fledged fibromyalgia, it can all come down to muscle tension. They muscles can go just so long like this and they start to cramp up. One of my friends can get a phone call from one of her kids that disturbs her and her back gets a spasm within seconds.

Please get the MS out of your mind...it does not start this way. Look up progressive muscle relaxation, get a good tape or CD and try to undo this before it becomes a chronic problem. Healing hugs xoxo

Hello
    I get this quite alot mostly in my arms and legs. Seem to be getting it in my shoulders too. I have had all the blood tests and they say to do with anxiety. Also had mri scan and that was clear.

Im so pleased to read this thread because I have lately been suffering with this aching leg problem, I get slight tingling in mine also. I have no problem when I am walking but when I sit for longer periods my legs feel a little heavy and ache. I have always suffered with tight shoulders and really do keep practising relaxing them and have alot of tension in my neck so I do think this symptom is one of stress and anxiety.

Just like with me,if i'm walking around i dont have any pain,but if i'm sat down i do have pain.Its always my left side.Today i have been doing some excercise as i tend to be very lazy and sit about

I get sort of occasional throbbing dull aches in my arms mostly and sometimes legs. Tends to be the left arm mostly which of course sets off alarm bells, but doc reckons it's all anxiety. Had a panic attack last year with chest pains, palpitations and some arm ache and after freaking out so much, ended up going to A&E in the middle of the night. They did ECG and bloods and effectively said there's nothing wrong with me and packed me off.

After a number of visits to the doc and finding places like this site I'm fairly certain it's anxiety really.

However, does anyone know if angina can occur with normal blood pressure? I always assumed that you'd have high blood pressure if you have angina, but my bp is very normal so I think that would rule out angina? Also I don't get the chest pains any more and I don't get the aches during exercise (nor do I get breathless during exercise), and I do a fair bit of exercise (walking and mountain biking). After exercise I do get some weird effects sometimes though, but I have a possible H. pylori infection which may be causing many of my symptoms.

I had read somewhere that one cause of angina other than dodgy arteries is anxiety. i.e. the arteries can be healthy, but the stress of anxiety causes the constriction of blood or whatever. If that's true, is it dangerous? Almost everything you read says anxiety won't kill you.

I do feel these days that all these aches are muscular though. Just there's always a nagging concern that it could be something else.

Hi tim73,

That's the problem with "reading somewhere" and then getting in a state over misleading information. Focus on the facts and ignore the what ifs, they will only make you worry for no reason. You have been examined by you doctor and the hospital. What was their conclusion? Anxiety.

Your aches and pains are very similar to mine and it is all anxiety related. It won't kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Angieb17 View Post
    Thanks for allyour responses. I do also suffer with cervical spondylosis and have trouble with dizziness and aching shoulders and neck, so maybe it has something to do with it too.

Today they are not that bad although feel as though the blood running through them is cold. My feet sometimes go a bit blue too.

I will try and do a bit more exercise, I find that if I start to walk i get so far and then can't wait to get home again. Sometimes I percivere and carry on, but more often than not i go back home. Warm baths do help also.

I am so pleased i have found this website, it does help.

Thanks again

Love Angiex
    Hi Angie,

I too have spondolosis in my neck and get pain in my arms and back. My legs ache in the thighs and calves too.

I also get pins and needles in my right hand and even my eyes sometimes feel brused.

perhaps it is stress although I dont actually feel stressed.

My husband has MS and I keep checking how he felt, but his symptoms were different so I am sure its not that. But it is worrying.

Wow what an interesting read.
    I am a 26yo Male of quite good health. Recently I have had pain in my arms, legs and shoulders and was beginning to worry. The pain is very similar to that experienced after too much exercise, like a muscle strain. I once had the pain in my arms from doing drunken hand stands on the beach. The pain has been around for a weeks in my calf, thighs, arms and shoulders, both sides all the time with an occasional selected pair or limbs to be the one that hurts the most at that time. I have avoided taking serious pain killers, but the small time stuff doesn't help. Now that I am realising it is not going away, I will try some muscle relaxant suggestions and see if I can start to treat myself. I have busted myself straining my shoulders and arms even whilst reading this thread.

It's been a year since I last posted in this thread, and things have changed a lot. Essentially my worries have gone away and I've learnt to understand what these aches and pains are.

I've just recently confirmed the arm aches are definitely 100% to do with exercise, or more importantly injury from exercise, as I did some downhill mountain biking last weekend, came off twice and one definitely wrenched my arm. Since then the aches and pains in it are identical to what I had last year.

And what preceded all this when it kicked off last year? Yep, I'd got a new mountain bike and started doing more serious stuff on it.

What threw me I think was the aches were just nothing like I'd ever felt before and particularly the sharp stabbing & throbbing kind of pain inside the arm which I'd convinced myself must be something serious and not anything like muscle damage or a break/fracture. At the time I hadn't had an obvious injury, but mountain biking can be an aggressive sport on the arms.

Anyway, went through a whole load of stuff last year with visits to the doc and even a session with the councillor! I'm convinced now the whole thing was related to the bike stuff and I had convinced myself there was something else wrong, then I accepted that it could just be anxiety and then of course it became anxiety.

Eventually I worked out that it was all stupid and decided to deal with it I would actually get out and about more often, but more importantly I'd get out with groups of people. I met up with people mountain biking on a forum and from there we'd often go out on rides, we'd bump into other people, a lot of chatting, bit of exercise, etc. Likewise with my other passion of photography I went on photo meets thanks to another forum. Soon enough the whole anxiety thing went out the window and the pains just dissapeared.

The exercise is great for anxiety anyway, and it doesn't have to be as aggressive as what I do, and it can be a social activity. I'm surprised at just how friendly mountain bikers are. Seems to be a thing where you gather, chat, ride a little, chat a lot, bump into others, chat, ride a little, chat more, eat, drink, etc.

Anyway, now I have the pains again (oh, and bust up ribs!), but I just know what these are and they will go away eventually.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information