Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suicide?

Suicide?

This is something that plays on my mind often, Not because I want to do it, It scares me so much, how can people get that low that they actually do it and could anxiety really make me that low?

A counsilor once said to me while you are scared of suicide you have no problem, its when you start to see suicide as as way out, thats when you have a problem, and I am scared of it, bigtime scared of it, Infact I can't even watch action films with people getting shot etc etc..

I suppose its one of them obsessive thoughts associated with anxiety,

Can anyone relate to what I am saying?

Re: Suicide?

Hi

Sam your councillor is right its the fear that is keepin this thought alive, Like you I had these thoughts and NEVER acted upon them, to be honest someone who fears it as much as we do Simply woulnt and couldnt act upon them

Michelle
    But you try farting and see how much attention you get !!!

I know exactly what you are saying Sam. I used to be terrified at the thought that I would consider it an option. I was obsessed reading about people who took thier own lives, and I would think "did they feel like I do now, and this will progress to this awful conclusion?".

I now realise that these thoughts I suffered from were healthy in the respect that by fearing it so much, it would never be an option.

Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco45er View Post
    I know exactly what you are saying Sam. I used to be terrified at the thought that I would consider it an option. I was obsessed reading about people who took thier own lives, and I would think "did they feel like I do now, and this will progress to this awful conclusion?".

I now realise that these thoughts I suffered from were healthy in the respect that by fearing it so much, it would never be an option.

Jaco
    Yes I am the same, Its good to know I am not alone with this,

there's been many times in 3 years ive had these thoughts, planned it out so it would go right. Did make two suicide attempts one was half hearted the other didn't work. just ended up in a&e feeling "stupid"
    What really stops me is "what if there is an afterlife" although i have no particular religion, i am spiritual and the wondering about "Out of the frying pan and into....etc ect !!! When i read about others having done it, its so sad , the most tragic , saddest thing ever . Luv Richiex

Anxious people are the last people to commit suicide. It's the strong types who get into a depression and don't see anyway out, that do it. The thing to remember, is that depression is always curable. You might not think so if you are depressed, but that's the way you think when you are depressed. But you do get over it if you get the right sort of treatment.

Tom

Oh Richie,

I've been through it too. I've tried in the past too but Never again!

This is a very difficult question because I agree with both points of view.

1) someone who fears it as much as we do Simply woulnt and couldnt act upon them

2)how can people get that low that they actually do it and could anxiety really make me that low?

It's right to say that suicidal thoughts just come into the mind because the thought of it scares us so much, in which case, no, someone would never attempt it.

However in other instances such as Richie says, anxiety can make us feel so low that we can't see any other way out. This is the saddest situation to be in because you feel alone with no one to turn to.

That's how I used to feel until I realised When i read about others having done it, When i read about others having done it, its so sad , the most tragic , saddest thing ever . Luv Richiex. Luv Richiex We're NOT alone.

Richie, if you weren't around, we'd ALL feel, its so sad , the most tragic , saddest thing ever! This is what I keep trying to say, that anxiety sufferers suffer So much, thinking that they are unimportant etc and yet, they Care More about Others which is why to me I have the Highest regard for people such as you Richie.

NEVER feel alone and KNOW that people Care about YOU too. You're the reason I turned my corner because I just like you, I couldn't bear the thought of others suffering as I did.

I hope that comes across ok but it upsets me too much too when these things happen to such caring people such as you.

My brother did it 3 years ago.

I think this has something to do with my panic disorder.

I think about it a lot too.

Lizzie xx

I have a fear of suicide well not a fear as such but it does make me uncomfortable and when I get very very stressed I do have thoughts but they're only fleeting although they can cause me quite a bit of anxiety. But when I do have these thoughts I can always see another way out.

Hi everyone...

Couldn't agree more with everything you've all been saying. Sometimes it seems like an attractive option - an end to all the pain and disturbing thoughts. Other times I'm terrified and ashamed of myself for even thinking of it...

There's been a lot of media coverage of the new movie 'Control' about the Manchester Post-Punk band Joy Division and their lead vocalist Ian Curtis , who took his own life in May 1980.
    I was a follower of their music at the time and read articles about them by Paul Morley in the NME. Curtis' death was a shock then and after 27 years it still has the power to haunt me.
    It is such a final, irretrievable act and leaves so much devastation behind.

Whilst I have every sympathy with those who commit suicide and those they leave behind, it still disturbs me that so many take this route. It leaves a bad example to follow for the rest of us. This is not intended as a heartless statement for who am I to try and judge the intensity of another person's pain?

It's awful to have to live on a daily basis with fearful thoughts, nagging self-doubts and those terrible physical feelings of anxiety. To feel that I am unwanted and worthless can be so hard to endure. However, I force myself to shun the suicide option.

If you want a few reasons for not doing it, there are many websites you can google with a few careful words, MIND have a useful booklet about coping with suicidal feelings or you could try reading Dorothy Rowe's chapter on the subject in her book 'Breaking The Bonds'.

Better still...can anyone think of at least 5 or more reasons to carry on? I'd like to read them...

This is another of those subjects which our society so awkwardly skates around. Another big taboo which invites the usual covert conspiracy which we all swallow to a greater of lesser degree. To say suicide is the coward's way out, for example, can only serve to make us feel all the more guilty for even considering it.

Many thanks to matt for raising this tricky subject in the first place.

All the best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information