Thread: Pain in my ear when swallowing and feel like something is stuck in my throat

Pain in my ear when swallowing and feel like something is stuck in my throat

So i've recently got over a chesty cough and cold.

Thought I was out of the woods then I got up this morning early with a horrendous pain in my ear when I swallow and a feeling of something lodged in my throat.

As I have work tomorrow and it's a Sunday, I went to the walk in clinic, saw a doctor, she did all the tests, temp, looked into my throat etc and said everything seemed ok.
    I explained it was very painful and I had never had something like this before and she said "it's just the common cold" I don't think it is to be honest. Ive never had this with a cold before, I've had a sore throat but not this ear pain and a feeling of something big inside my throat.

I now don't know what to do. I honestly thought I needed antibiotics. Now I'm back at home, in pain, with work tomorrow but I won't be able to go in if I feel like this.

I had a day off around one month ago on 5th September. So worried I will get in trouble for having another day off tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Should I go back to the doctors tomorrow?

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

Anybody??

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Pain in my ear when swallowing and feel like something is stuck in my throat

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAfraid23 View Post
    I went to the walk in clinic, saw a doctor, she did all the tests, temp, looked into my throat etc and said everything seemed ok.....she said "it's just the common cold".... Should I go back to the doctors tomorrow?
    Do you see the pattern here?

Good Luck!
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Pain in my ear when swallowing and feel like something is stuck in my throat

Yeah I get this when I have a cold or bug sometimes..... feels like the ear is bunged up and the sore lumpy throat is unpleasant too. I think it is pretty common.

If you start to get bad throbbing pain in the ear (not just when swallowing) and run a temperature then go back... otherwise wait it out.

Antibiotics are not needed for a cold anyway.

I've just never had this feeling with a cold before.

It feels as though there's a gold ball trapped in my throat and my ear doesn't feel right either.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Don't know whether to go to work tomorrow or not.

- Emily Brontė

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAfraid23 View Post
    I've just never had this feeling with a cold before.

It feels as though there's a gold ball trapped in my throat and my ear doesn't feel right either.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Don't know whether to go to work tomorrow or not.
    Unless you feel really bad then go........ being busy will take your mind off the anxiety.

I've had this when I've had slightly swollen glands with a cold, or even just a bad throat. If the doctor says you're fine and it's just a cold, then trust them. They can't give you anything for that anyway. See how it goes over the next few days with some lemsip or something. If it's still bad in a week or so then maybe go back, that's what I'd do. Chances are it will've gone by then anyway.

If you don't have a temperature then I suggest going to work. If it's a cold, yes take it easy, but you don't need to stay at home. The fresh air, change of scenery and distraction will help. I had a horrible cold a couple of weeks ago, with a temperature on and off, but felt slightly better when I was busy and not focussing on it.

I'm going to see how I feel in the morning.

It's very painful tonight so if it's still the same tomorrow I may spend one more day resting.

I had a chesty cough for the best part of two weeks and went in everyday, despite everyone I work with saying I shouldn't have.

- Emily Brontė

Thread Information