Thread: Can viral infection interfere with antidepressants

Can viral infection interfere with antidepressants

Hi does anyone have an answer to this?i only ask because i have been ill for 2 weeks with a virus and feel like my tablets are being kicked out of my system,thanks..

Re: Can viral infection interfere with antidepressants

Such a good question, I'd love to know the answer to this too. I was really starting to feel the benefits if my citalopram 10mg then I got sick think it was the flu don't really know, anyway from I got sick I feel worse mentally than I ever have in my life, I was wondering too if it was because I was sick or was that just a coincidence?

Love to hear the replys to this one.
    Paula xx

Re: Can viral infection interfere with antidepressants

I'm not sure how a viral infection could affect an antidepressant, in the sense that how can it interfere with digestion of the tablet and absorption into the bloodstream, unless you were vomiting a lot and possible were sicking the tablet up? Probably from my own experience of feeling like utter s**t when having a virus or cold, it's a cause and effect reaction from feeling generally terrible, I often found it took small things to give me a temporary mood crash, including being ill. However I have to say that I feel quite low/down anyway when having a cold or flu even without being on medication.

Another factor to consider is we often don't eat as good, or drink as much, or exercise as much when we are ill, these can all contribute to feeling low.

I'm hoping you'll find as you perk up and get over the virus you'll start to feel a lot better and get back on track. Try and look on it as a normal reaction to being physically ill for 2 weeks and that it will pass as you recover

Thread Information