Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pregabalin taper schedule

Re: Pregabalin taper schedule

Hi Hanshan

Thanks again for replying

5 days have gone by and I feel no different so I guess its gone well

akb

I checked some old threads to answer an earlier question regarding dosage and came up with this from Hanshan

The dose varies considerably according to the person taking it, but a rough guide is:
    0 - 200 mg per day - low dose
    200 - 400 mg per day - mid dose
    400 - 600 mg per day - upper dose

Nella131 a student nurse added that she had been told by her psych that anything below 150 was unlikely to have any effect

I am stable on 150 and will remain on it a while

akb

Hi Akb,

That's a very rough (but still useful) guide. The range of 200 - 400 mg per day is based on clinical trials which show a statistically verifiable improvement over placebo at that dose (actually, I think closer to 400 mg per day). Nevertheless, individuals may respond at doses both below and above that range. Various people have posted to NMP taking doses less than 200 mg per day which they are happy with.

Another factor is whether pregabalin is combined with another psychoactive med, and how the two combine.

Overall, some informed trialling of different levels is not amiss, given that most people seem to want to find the minimum effective dose.

Hi Hanshan

You may be able to answer this query.

I cut down from 200 to 150 over 3 weeks ago. The other day the UK embassy came to visit, something triggered a huge spike in my anxiety level and am still struggling now.

Could this have anything to do with reducing the Lyrica? As I said earlier, I have never been convinced it was helping much anyway and a bigger dose was out of the question for various reasons.

Thanks for reading

akb

Hi Akb,

Sorry to hear about the spike in anxiety. Pragabalin / Lyrica works best for persistent levels of low to medium anxiety - mostly generalised anxiety GAD. It's not 100% perfect for preventing a panic attack or a neutralising a particular event that might make you very anxious, though it probably helps.

Also, if you are on a downward taper, you are also particularly vulnerable. If possible, keep some in reserve so that you can temporarily go back up a step if necessary at a difficult time.

Best of luck in your present circumstances - I don't know I how I would cope at all, so you are doing well.

Hi Hanshan

I increased it back up to 200 and am feeling a little better. Would you concur with me that it was having s positive effect after all? I only decreased because I thought it wasn't.

akb

Hi Akb,

Pregabalin's effects can be subtle - I often say that it's working best when you don't feel anything except that you are not as anxious as before. So pregabalin may have been having a positive effect that you didn't notice. Also, it's not so good for anxiety surges related to stressful situations, and I'm guessing that applies to you. However, it may help a bit, if not completely. My best wishes to you.

Hi Hanshan

Thanks again for your helpful comments

akb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information