Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBT made things worse and now left alone

Re: CBT made things worse and now left alone

I think they could have handled that better. The close down meeting is really more for them than you and it's like they are avoiding getting into the situation.

If you want to try some Mindfulness free until your book comes, have a look at the thread on my signature as there are loads on there. Some are from professor Mark Williams Frantic World website, the same ones as in his book.

Don't be afraid of asking for further help. There are always going to be people worse off and if we think this way, we would never use the NHS. People wouldn't think twice over a physical issue.

---------- Post added at 06:45 ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jayb1 View Post
    CBT totally didn't work for me. The exposure therapy jumped from something reasonably tolerable to horrendous . the therapist was trying to cram everything in to 8 sessions and it totally set me back. Trying to cure anxiety disorder and agoraphobia that I've had for nearly 20 years in 8 weeks what a joke. I asked to be referred to a more intense therapy for 24 weeks with a psychologist . I did have to wait a couple of months but worth it. I am by no means better but I'm sort of coping . leaving the house is becoming easier and I'm controlling the panic attacks through breathing exercises ( just had number 3 for the day) still have another 13 sessions to go . my advice is to get back in touch with your gp asap don't let it go as I have done in the past . if I had got the proper help 20 years ago I wouldn't be in my current state
    The thing is, you can have a years worth of CBT with the community mental health teams...but you used to wait 12+ months to even see them! So, they brought in IAPT to get us quicker access and the trade off seems to have been that they work to a shorter schedule. CBT can be much longer but there are short forms of it. The short ones are for milder or more specific things though and this is where the IAPT programme is badly flawed and we are being bumped onto a list with a quicker turnaround, probably as a triage thing.

Re: CBT made things worse and now left alone

I really wonder how many people fully recover from anxiety,agroaphobia and depression by learning the art of CBT.
    I keep hearing that people have been using the tools taught for years yet have hardly moved forward, whilst others like myself just can't dramatically change our thinking and ruminate a lot.

Now the flavour of the month is mindfulness and suddenly SSRI'S are coming under the microscope.All these pills that most of us have taken for months,years or decades are just masking the problem and now it's beginning to be seen that long term use of all these drugs lead to other health problems as opposed to anxiety issues.

IMO that's why therapy will eventually be the only way forward with the odd benzo chucked in for emergencies.
    We really haven't moved that far forward these past 20 odd years with a growing problem of mental health issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information