Thread: Started Venlafaxine today...

Started Venlafaxine today...

Within 10 mins of taking it (37.5) I felt different, a little like taking Diazepam(Valium) but more subtle. I also felt a little arrogant/aggressive? Within a couple of hours, I had dry mouth, then a couple hours after that the drowsiness began.

Is this normal, I didn't think the drug would have such an instant effect, or was the placebo effect?

Re: Started Venlafaxine today...

It's very unlikely to have any noticeable effect when you've just taken it. When I started it I always noticed the feeling odd about 5 hours after taking it and this lasted about 4 hours. When I looked it up they say ven reaches peak plasma levels between 5 and 9 hours after taking it. So maybe a placebo effect for you?

Quote Originally Posted by lifeofbrian View Post
    Within 10 mins of taking it (37.5) I felt different, a little like taking Diazepam(Valium) but more subtle. I also felt a little arrogant/aggressive? Within a couple of hours, I had dry mouth, then a couple hours after that the drowsiness began.

Is this normal, I didn't think the drug would have such an instant effect, or was the placebo effect?
    Hi there,

You'll get a few of these effects early on, especially things like dry mouth. You'll see a few other effects over the coming month and don't be surprised if you get a bit of raised anxiety, particularly when you increase your dose - it's all part of the settling in.

4-6 weeks and you'll feel loads better. It's been a life saver for me

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

That's interesting, I read that it only has a half life of 4-7 hours. I guess what "they" say and what we really feel is always different per person.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazamataz View Post
    It's very unlikely to have any noticeable effect when you've just taken it. When I started it I always noticed the feeling odd about 5 hours after taking it and this lasted about 4 hours. When I looked it up they say ven reaches peak plasma levels between 5 and 9 hours after taking it. So maybe a placebo effect for you?

Ah, maybe you are on the standard one rather than extended release? If so I'd suggest insisting on the extended release ones.

Yep, Ven Prolonged Release hits peak at 5.5-9 hours. Ven Standard is 2-3 hours.

Bare in mind that Ven is metabolised in the liver. It takes time to pass through from the gut so other than an allergic reaction, nothing would happen straight away. There are Serotonin receptors in the gut too and this is why nausea is often common (research with Citalopram shows a specific gut receptor reacting and how taking this med with food avoids that) and that is quicker because it's where the med reaches quicker than the liver & blood plasma.

Elimination of Ven Standard is 5-7 hours for 11+2 hours, the latter being for the metabolite. It's longer for the prolonged release to allow for once a day dosing.

Hi,

My recent move to ven was a cross taper so I think what I've felt has been a bit of withdrawal and side effects. I felt nothing too bad just really tired, a bit more anxious after increasing the dose and changing over but not sure if that's the ven or my old med. I'm only 6 days on the new med but keep my hopes up it'll work well with a bit of time. I'm on extended release version too.

Best wishes with it.

Thread Information