Thread: Fear of eating in a restaurant

Fear of eating in a restaurant

Hi Everyone..

Does anyone suffer with mild to severe anxiety and sometimes panic attacks if they have to eat in a restaurant?

I have a few times last year with a friend but even then sometimes I'm sick when I get home or ...in the actual place. The thought of going with a group of people makes me even worse (if that is possible!)

I do not have an eating disorder, but the thought of going to an enclosed place like this fills me with dread. I cannot eat when I'm anxious so I think the combination is terrible for me. Plus, I've had bad experiences because of this. It always puts me in terrible positions at Christmas Parties, Birthdays as even though I'm open with people, not everyone understands and I sense they think I am antisocial. I did speak about it with my CBT therapist the year before last, but my sessions ran out so I'm still stuck.

I obsess for weeks before an event about having a panic attack. I just want to know whether anyone else suffers with this? I have for as long as I can remember. :(

Re: Fear of eating in a restaurant

I've not ate in a restaurant before(anytime i go i've just ordered drinks/dessert oops)
    i have a huge issue with eating outside or in the presence of people however,
    it can really suck especially at social events, i don't seem to have too much of an issue with people i know well though, what's been helping me is slowly working my way up, eating little things like peanuts or raisins and building up, however i haven't mastered the restaurant yet either lol x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Why is this, because of the open space? Being Judged by other eaters? Scared of food poisoning?

Variety of reasons, not sure where it stems from but I did have a bad experience when I was feeling anxious years ago. I don't like crowds, and when i'm anxious I get very hot...when I'm anxious I have no appetite, so the whole situation makes me feel worse and then I feel sick..and can lead to panic attacks in front of lots of people.

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden01 View Post
    I've not ate in a restaurant before(anytime i go i've just ordered drinks/dessert oops)
    i have a huge issue with eating outside or in the presence of people however,
    it can really suck especially at social events, i don't seem to have too much of an issue with people i know well though, what's been helping me is slowly working my way up, eating little things like peanuts or raisins and building up, however i haven't mastered the restaurant yet either lol x
    Glad to know I'm not alone. I hate corporate / wedding functions etc. As I feel like everyone is judging me or assuming I am anti social as a result of not being able to go, or not coping if I do go.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmajo View Post
    Glad to know I'm not alone. I hate corporate / wedding functions etc. As I feel like everyone is judging me or assuming I am anti social as a result of not being able to go, or not coping if I do go.
    I am okay eating in a restaurant or drinking in a coffee shop if I'm with someone else, or a small group. But I can't do it on my own easily.

I remember staying at a premier inn a few years ago and went down to the restaurant on my own for dinner. It was excruciating to say the least. I felt that everyone was looking at me, and didn't know where to look, or what to do with my hands, my feet etc. I think I was without my phone too. I've had similar experiences in Starbucks, where I go on my own with some paperwork, but find that I cannot look up, and feel watched/talked about.

'Events' that involve food are really difficult. So weddings, working lunches etc are things that I generally avoid. I wince as I recall one occasion where I found myself at a circular table, and the person on my right was talking for ages to the person to their right, and the person to my left was doing the same with the person to their left. I was sat there, alone, self-consciously eating food, too afraid to look up, and feeling as though I needed to escape, but knowing that it would just draw more attention to myself

Thread Information