Thread: Zyprexa/Olanzapine in the morning

Zyprexa/Olanzapine in the morning

Has anyone taken this in the Morning? I currently take 2.5mg at 6.00pm. About an hour later, I definately feel a lot calmer and I usually go to bed about 9. So I don't really know how sleepy it makes me after about three hours. I find that in the morning my mind is racing (it is not an anxiety feeling), but like I have just guzzled 20 cups of coffee type of feeling. It really is very uncomfortable. So the doc suggested I split the dose between the morning and night. I will try tomorrow as I don't have to work. Is is possible that the effects have worn off from the dose at night and that's why I feel hyped in the morning? I thought once you had been taking it for a few weeks then it would be like an anti depressant and that the effect from it wouldn't fluctuate?

Re: Zyprexa/Olanzapine in the morning

I dont know much about this one.

I am hoping Terry might be able to give me some insight as he knows so much about medications.

It's only a small dose. 2.5mg so maybe this may make a difference?
    Last edited by Mermaid16; 05-11-16 at 02:12.

I know that my dr has talked about adding it to my medication possibly next time I see her.

---------- Post added at 01:14 ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 ----------

Does it help with the anxiety?

Hi Beth . It is in the same class as Serequel/Quetiepine...so an antipsychotic. I find it is very calming about an hour after I take it. I am usually in bed a couple of hours after I take it, so I'm not sure if such a small dose makes you go to sleep. I was going to try to halve the dose this morning, but I slept in. So tomorrow I am going to set my alarm for 6 and take half a dose then and see how I go. I have to make sure that I won't be too tired for work, otherwise I will go back to just taking at night. It does stop the ruminating thoughts...you can still think of course, but at time I struggle to find the right word. In saying that, when I am very anxious, I have the same thing. It does make you crave sweets after you take it, well after the 2.5mg dose it does. So I've been to shops today to buy some fruit, carrots and cottage cheese. So I can snack on that instead of icecream. It has reached 34 degrees today. So fricken hot and no breeze at all. I love winter compared to summer. Even the fan is just blowing hot air on me.

I have read other people who use to be on here have taken it in the morning. I tried Serequel once but it made me dizzy. This one doesn't though.

Ok thanks

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Love your blog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid16 View Post
    Has anyone taken this in the Morning? I currently take 2.5mg at 6.00pm. About an hour later, I definately feel a lot calmer and I usually go to bed about 9. So I don't really know how sleepy it makes me after about three hours. I find that in the morning my mind is racing (it is not an anxiety feeling), but like I have just guzzled 20 cups of coffee type of feeling. It really is very uncomfortable. So the doc suggested I split the dose between the morning and night. I will try tomorrow as I don't have to work. Is is possible that the effects have worn off from the dose at night and that's why I feel hyped in the morning? I thought once you had been taking it for a few weeks then it would be like an anti depressant and that the effect from it wouldn't fluctuate?
    I am currently taking 1.25

I was taking 5mg at night for two years and put on over 3 stone in weight..at first i used to sleep for 10 hrs straght but after several months that stoped.never helped my anxiety.im now on 2.5mg and on my way to come off of it..nasty drug

Be careful with Olanzapine, i was on 10mg a night once, you dont want the dose to escalate at all!. it wont do your memory any good if you stay on it too long. the nervousness it creates and the food cravings made me sick of myself it was a good anti depressant though. As for taking ot in the morning, no, you dont need to do that, just have a dose at night, it knocks you out and when you get up your trying to get back on track!

Thread Information