Thread: anyone tried Tai-Chi?

anyone tried Tai-Chi?

I've just enrolled in a beginners course for Jan and wondered if anyone has tried this for anxiety before. I've told the instructor that I suffer panic and anxiety (I was worried about having a panic attack in class and disrupting other people). She said that's fine and that she thinks it might help. I struggle with mindfulness so hoping I'll b better at this.

X

Re: anyone tried Tai-Chi?

I did it some years back and found it very good, but yes the first class I was scared I`d overbalance, pass out, put other people off etc, none of which happened.
    It takes a lot of concentration and has all mixed abilities but I found it helped a lot to slow me down and make me really focus on what i was doing.
    I only managed 6 classes in the end due to other committments but I`d recommend it to anyone as it exposed me to other ways of thinking, deep steady breathing and trying something new.
    Let us know how it goes but I bet you`ll really be glad you went

I haven't tried Tai-Chi, but I'm currently experimenting with certain forms of Yoga (not the 'strike a pose' US championship style).

I think it compliments mindfulness very well, and I think struggling with mindfulness is part of the journey, it's about training, and training is hard work!

Of course if it makes you feel worse, then move along and try something else for now

Quote Originally Posted by brucealmighty View Post
    I did it some years back and found it very good, but yes the first class I was scared I`d overbalance, pass out, put other people off etc, none of which happened.
    It takes a lot of concentration and has all mixed abilities but I found it helped a lot to slow me down and make me really focus on what i was doing.
    I only managed 6 classes in the end due to other committments but I`d recommend it to anyone as it exposed me to other ways of thinking, deep steady breathing and trying something new.
    Let us know how it goes but I bet you`ll really be glad you went
    Great to hear a positive story, yep I'm worried about all the same things you were - that I'll be a sweaty, shaking mess and make a complete fool of myself. That's why I explained my situation to the instructor even though I never tell people about my anxiety.

I'm quite looking forward to it now, thanks x

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I haven't tried Tai-Chi, but I'm currently experimenting with certain forms of Yoga (not the 'strike a pose' US championship style).

I think it compliments mindfulness very well, and I think struggling with mindfulness is part of the journey, it's about training, and training is hard work!

Of course if it makes you feel worse, then move along and try something else for now
    I'm doing the Headspace 10 minute mindfullness everyday but thats all I can manage. I'm scared of my mind being present in the moment because 'the moment' is usually a pretty unpleasant place to be.... like you say it takes practice and hopefully I'll learn to enjoy it and relax.

Know what you mean re some yoga classes, went to one once that was full of beautiful people doing 'blue steel' faces at themselves in the mirror. I'm keeping an eye out for one that's more focused on relaxation x

I drink a lot of camomile. Not sure if it works but makes me sleepy ��

Nope but I am considering it. Hearing any of your experiences would be great

I did it for a few months a couple of decades ago - it was absolutely amazing!

At that point I was 'only' very shy, stress-prone and had social anxiety. I'll never forget going to meet my friends at a busy pub (something I usually hated) after one class and walking in completely calm, like I was serenely floating on a cloud and nothing could unbalance me. I was so relaxed and comfortable I didn't even fancy a beer (usually I'd be straight to the bar for Dutch courage!).

Highly recommended by me, and I cannot wait to take it up again when I can.

Also, when the weather's nice, try to practise barefoot on the grass somewhere. The idea is that you 'ground' yourself with the earth and nature - it actually works! Think how great you feel when you get to the beach on a warm day. The first thing you do? Take your shoes and socks off!

I've not tried it, but I do Pilates and feel amazing after each session. I reckon this'll be the same!

Thread Information