Thread: How do you recover from panic disorder

How do you recover from panic disorder

I want my life back. I want to stop worrying about my heart stopping. I am currently taking Xanax twice a day after an eventful night of calling the paramedics for skipped heart beats. Does anyone take a benzo daily. DO you find that it helps calm the body while you work on the thoughts with CBT?

Re: How do you recover from panic disorder

All meds are a crutch, and If yours can help you calm down until you have the tools you need to tackle the anxiety then that's great. I take a beta blocker to calm my skipped beats and flutters down, because I prefer not to take mind altering drugs like tranquilisers which is what benzodiazipams are. Beta blockers just stop the adrenaline from bombing around and irritating your heart is all, and can be taken as and when needed rather than every day when things feel calmer.

I took Benzos many years ago, namely Ativan and Tranxene, but they caused more problems for me than the origional anxiety, and coming off them wasn't a pleasant experience either tbh. But they're ok short term, and if they work for you that's fine. Whatever gets you through as they say.

ISB x

Thank you for always being so helpful in your response. I've been taking Xanax for a few months now (while trying different medications). I just need to calm my mind, so that I can function. I have a 6 year old to look after and he's my priority. I worry about coming off benzos, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. How long did you take benzos for (if you don't mind me asking)???

I took them for 5 years, and whenever my system got used to one dosage I would increase it to get the same effect so I was on a high dose in the end. But this was back in the 1980s when I was in my early 30s and in those days they were handed out like candy. The doctors hopefully know better now. Weaning myself off them took a year, but their effects lasted a long time after and ive never touched a benzo since that time. I've used natural tranquilisers such as Valerian and Kalms. ..not sure what their equivalent is in the States sorry.

But look, i'm not saying all of this to put you off, only to be aware taking them long term, taking them for a few months short term and sticking to the dosage prescribed will probably help your system to calm down while you sort out your head.

ISB x

Hi! I currently take Benzos. I take 1mg Clonazepam twice a day. I too was worried about addiction, but like you I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I take 5 medications, 3 of them being anti depressants, so I am trying to wean off them one by one. With regards to panic, two books have helped me greatly 'Dare' and 'The Happiness Trap'. I never found CBT helpful (but we are all different). I am doing a course at the hospital in ACT Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. I have found this much more beneficial as it teaches you to change the way you think. I can email you the course documents if you like. Just PM me your email address. Xx

Okay, I just sent you a PM

Ultimately, you want to get to the stage where you have the symptoms but just don't care about them/pay them much attention. You don't necessarily need benzos to help you get to this stage. I'd say regular benzo use will just cause you more problems and will be very unhelpful.

Thread Information