Thread: Anybody else have a TERRIBLE FEAR/PHOBIA of Rats?

Anybody else have a TERRIBLE FEAR/PHOBIA of Rats?

I dont mean pet rats, in fact my friend had some, i would happily pick them up, i mean the wild type.

I dont know if it stems from health anxiety, coz part of it is disease, eurgh, but the fact they come in such large numbers too.

Years ago, in a different house, we found a hole in a cupboard under the stairs coming from under ground, we kept a large bag of dog food in there, checked the bottom of the bag and there was of course a hole in it at the bottom. I setup a little video camera on the hole, set it up to the TV and watched it for about 2 hours, my OH got fed up and went to bed, i thought i was wasting my time then a head popped out of the hole, i nearly died then, but when it came out and went to the dog biscuit i left on the floor, followed by ANOTHER and ANOTHER i wanted to just run out of the door and never come back. We got the most powerful trap you could buy from b n q and killed a few, they were definitely no babies, we had a pestman round within a couple of days, bought a metal bin to keep the dog food in (aswell at moving it upstairs) and never saw one again, but EVERY single time something moved in the corner of my eye, i was obsessed.

We've moved home since and finally bought our own, but just today i have been removing floorboards to access the gas pipes underneath, first time ive had them up, and saw an old pot with poison in it, looks like its been there for ever and untouched with was a relief, but still, i keep wondering if they are under here too.

Wonder if this is just a personality trait, as in, anxiety, paranoi, obsessing, cant let it go. My girlfriend 'doesn't give a rats ass' about them, they scare the life out of me. Any body else?

Re: Anybody else have a TERRIBLE FEAR/PHOBIA of Rats?

When i first read the title i thought "Rats are so cuddly and adorable" but as i read more i realized you were the same as me, i'm great with the pet rat, my sister used to own a pet shop so i was always exposed to them but i did still grow a fear of the wild one, admittedly mine is not as bad as you but i can still relate to being obsessed everytime something moved with my spider phobia x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

I mean, the idea of them grosses me out as I'm sure it does many people, but I dont obsess about them.

I use to have pet rats when I was younger ahhh, how I loved them.

However , sewers rats and dirty wild rats I will not come close too . I think they're disigusting and I'm sure they carry diseases .

Ugh .. gross

Thread Information